Saturday, April 28, 2018

Yoga

I tried yoga back in the 90's as a young career woman.  Coming to adulthood in the late 80's early 90's, we were told you had to have cardio essentially to get a good workout.  It was only later that women were told that we need weight resistance.  That weight resistance would not lead us to have big bulky muscles.  So, although I liked yoga, I did not think it was intense enough and I did other stuff:  jogging, roller blading, step aerobics, jazzercise, Jane Fonda and Tracy Austin videos...etc.  Then as my knees got older, I pretty much stuck with walking.  As I approached late 40's though, the attraction of lower impact made me go back to yoga...that, and my girlfriend was interested too.  And all through my workout years, I never had a workout partner.  So, it was nice to have a friend also interested.  So we started going in 2012.  The progress comes quick for about the 1st six months.  Then it slowed for me.  Then seemed like nothing changed for years.  But it did.  I have become much more used to the deep breathing and today I am able to balance MUCH better.  I still need to work on core and upper body strength.  But perhaps the most important thing of all is my recognition that our thoughts very much affect our actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment