Friday, April 27, 2018

X is for Gen X

I was just talking to a friend today about this, since I am Gen X and he is right in between Gen X and Baby Boomer.  My husband is Baby Boomer.  I am not sure what this has to do with rightsize, but I do know that since I never had children, I never felt the need to buy the bigger house that I see a lot of my generaltion either still in or trying to get in.  Since DH a few years older than me, we will be early pioneer downsizers compared to several of my friends.  I wanted kids, but it just did not happen.  I know that God has a reason or everything, and let's us have free will and my priorities were not aligned with my priorities now.  So, when I was young, that was not a priority for me.  Working and career were...not because I was vain or shallow or selfish, but because I saw my mom and dad struggle to make ends meet.  So, I was determined to be independent.  But I was sold a bill of goods that we could have it all...and I refused to look at things honestly.  I had blinders on.  Well, my twenties were sort of sad...lost my mom, lost dear late husband...I felt older than any other 20 year old I could have dated.  So, it was easy to focus on career and avoid some tough feelings and stayed delusional about some things.  Fortunately, I found this was impossible to remain in the dark forever and eventually dealt with some truths and gained some crucial insight.  I like to think that God has shown me how nice and peaceful life can be when I am not in conflict about what I want and what I do.  Life without children does not have the highs and lows of raising kids.  Life is sort of boring without kids, but life is also quiet and peaceful and the ripples are from us alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment