Wednesday, August 8, 2018

I Try Not to Watch the News

I am not in Chicago, but another similar Midwestern city.  And, like Chicago we have had a recent spate of shootings.  I absolutely WILL NOT talk politics on this blog or any of my social media.  In fact, i really don't like to discuss it at all - it seems like the current 2 party system we have in America is dividing us more than ever. 

Yesterday was voting day.  Yet, after work I walked 5 miles and then went home and fixed us smoothies, showered and fell asleep without watching the results.  It is a scary time in our nation and in the world.  When I watch or listen to too much news, I get really negative and consumed with worry.  Worry is something I have plenty of naturally.  So I instead focus on the positive (the helpers, as Mr. Rogers said) and I try to pay attention just enough to know the issues and be informed. 

I feel sadness for the old people, the people who fought for what freedoms we cherish and I feel bad for the young people and the disadvantaged.  The helpless animals.  And then I remind myself that God is in charge.

As with things that happen in one's individual life...I do believe the things that are happening all around us are happening for a reason.  So, I try to focus on the similarities.  I feel better when I smile at a stranger who seemed rude, maybe they are having a really challenging issue in their life.  The person who cut me off, maybe they are dealing with something bad.  The person who disappointed me - maybe it had nothing to do with me at all. 

I am not a big believer in astrology or stuff like that, but I did find this interesting.  Friday the 27th was a blood moon and supposedly the last week or so we were supposed to be able to see Mars clearly (we can't here in the city - the sky is too bright from lights).  DH is way more pragmatic than I in such matter (no way he would even give it a 2nd thought).  However, DH was a cop many years ago and he swore (as do first responders, ER doctors/nurses and teachers) that when there was a full moon - they know by peoples' collective behavior.  So, what does that mean?  I don't know.  The moon does control the tide, after all. 

Anyway, here is a little snippet I read about Mars retrograde:
..."Pisces and Pisces Ascendant: All Mars retrograde cycles affect you in the areas of personal finances, income, possessions, comfort, and values. These areas might be ambiguous now, or cause for concern and anxiety for the time being. Reassessing these matters becomes necessary. This is a good time for taking a hard look at your budget. It’s also a time for understanding how the management of your personal resources impacts your confidence in general."
  -credit to Astrology Café

This is funny to me because we are 1)  living in an extended stay hotel and 2)  we have 2 meetings with 2 different financial advisors.  Do I ascribe some power to this?  No, not actively.  Maybe passive interest.  Anyway, have a Wonderful Wednesday everyone!

8 comments:

  1. I've really struggled with this, as I want to stay informed & active, but too much news (and certainly, social media) has had a very negative impact on me over the past 18 months or so. I feel much better when I give it up, but it's everywhere.

    Sometimes we just need a break from everything for our own sanity. Continue to take care of yourself for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go back and forth! I did hear something that helps me...pay attention to the close elections...your city, county and state...that is where we are affected in our day to day life.

      Delete
  2. Ignore what you can't change and change what you can-what I live by.
    I believe that full moon phenomenon. I once worked part time as a cocktail waitress and people are on their worst behavior at that time of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

      Delete
  3. No complaints, just an observation--but, you did talk politics!

    I believe the moon controls things like tides. I observed a scar on a friend was swollen during the full moon, but receded and is flatter between full moons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me. What I should have said...you will probably never know what position I take. I wonder if the moon affects other parts of our bodies.

      Delete
    2. Nawm,
      Someone said she was going to see if gallbladder scar hurt just during full moon. I think quite possible it mirth. I am going to monitor and chart pain. Now, am I not the most interesting person?

      Delete
    3. You know, it makes sense. Just truly by science we cannot deny the connection between mind and body and if our mind is affected by the moon, then our body surely follows.

      Delete