Sunday, August 26, 2018

Grain Moon

The Old Farmers Almanac gives the Native American names for each month's full moon.  The Native Americans named them to track the seasons.  Tonight is Grain Moon.
 
The corn here in the midwest is tall and close to harvest, but not quite ready.   It is still green, so it is also known as The Green Corn Moon.
 
We spent some time admiring the corn as we drove home to the city to get in another week of work.   We also have enjoyed seeing the moon this weekend.  I came home and went to the store,  grateful my food gathering is as easy as driving to a store.  I can imagine for the Native Americans, it was time to gather as much as they could to both process and preserve it, along with the wild game they hunted to get ready for the fall and winter. 
 
I walked after I fixed dinner and fixed lunches for Monday and Tues.   I cut it close, sunset is now 8pm.  Days start to get noticeably shorter now.
 
DH and I both had headaches this weekend,  fatigue and aches and pains...sort of grouchy we both were.  My back is also giving me fits making me think I need to tighten up my diet and get back to yoga soon.  Native Americans and early settlers did a lot of physical labor and moving around.  Today, our culture benefits from so much convenience, they we have come too far the other way.  DH and I sit long hours at computers at our jobs.  We need to keep moving.  My 5 mile walk felt wonderful.
 
Going to bed, so my body can rest up.  Happy Grain moon to you.

4 comments:

  1. The earlier sunsets are coupled by later sunrises. this morning, I awoke at 5 an and the faint glow of sunrise was absent, unlike last week. I did not need light yet since I only went to the bathroom.I love the longer days!

    It is fun to know the days of the full moons. Our society had gotten so far away from the names since, like you say, getting groceries is just a matter of going to a store.

    I hope your pain goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about the modern conveniences. Anymore even a little physical labor will make our muscles holler the next day. We are a softening people.

    ReplyDelete