Sunday, November 4, 2018

Our First...And Second Hikes!

Yesterday started out not going my way...I got up and drove to yoga, happy to be making up a session since I missed Halloween.  I get there - class cancelled.  Darn.  So, what do I do?  I buy donuts.  You know, makes sense!

My day turned around fast!

Then had coffee with DH and we decided to take a day drive and look at the leaves before they are all blown off the trees.  We were going to do more trim painting and it was not hard to change our minds!

We picked a general direction and started driving.  We saw a park at a lake and stopped and found a trail that was showing on an app I have and we were glad we stopped!  It was beautiful area.  It is a state park, but it is within a national forest.  DH said he would love to come back and try out our kayaks.  I added that I want to stay in one of the cabins.  I added it might be a little creepy because they close the gates at the main road.  DH laughed.  Obviously I watch too much 48 Hours and Dateline.

We did about a 2 mile hike in a fairly steep area, skirting the lake.  We just enjoyed being out and I told DH that this was why I wanted to move to this state.  He agreed.  The leaves are past the prime color season, but there all still lots of yellows and oranges.  I took some pretty pictures.  When I did the search on the app for trails, there are like 250 in my corner of the state.

After the steepish hike, we drove some more.  I stopped at a restaurant for catfish.  It was wonderful.  They even served green tomato relish.  We are close to another town that I had gone to graduate school 20 years ago.  But the area is so much more grown up it is unrecognizable!

Then we drove about 20 more miles to another really nice state park.  This park includes a museum and battlefield.  This battlefield was key in the civil war.  We visited all the stations and watched a video, looked at the displays.  Then we walked the 1.5 mile circuit.  Just beautiful.  And the history really made us grateful.  That we live in such a wonderful, complicated country.

Then we drove home and DH told me he would think twice next time I want him to look at leaves with me...he was worn out!  I think I wore our or big dog too.

Hope you are enjoying fall.  Happy end of Daylight Savings!

P.S.  By way of update on our antenna...we have personally run new cable to the living room and kitchen from our existing antenna and we get all the major local stations and several public TV stations.  We actually think we had a bad cable.  We are also enjoying the ease of watching Amazon Prime and Netflix.  I am so grateful for the beauty of nature outside, but also my warm cozy house and a bit of TV for entertainment on a cold rainy fall evening. I am happy we have cut that cord and saved that expense.

2 comments:

  1. So funny about buying donuts when your yoga was canceled.
    Sounds like a good choice to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? We burned them off!

      Thanks for your comment, I love your blog IYDSSGD!

      Delete