Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Kitchen lights are done!

The before kitchen I showed before.  Here are pictures again. 

We finally got our under cabinets lighting and it absolutely changes the whole space.  Even DH was so impressed, he has mentioned it a couple of times.  I used my new kitchen lighting twice over the weekend.  Sat to fix dinner for his family and again Monday morning, I made DH and I a wonderful brunch before we went back to the city. 

You really truly get to know how a kitchen layout is going to work for you when you cook in it and my lighting and layout just worked like a dream.  It is the nicest kitchen I have ever lived in and I just love it.  Of course, I have never had white cabinets.  So ask me in another 10 years!

Now back to the grind to help pay for all my kitchen dreams!  The only other thing we are going to do is new counters/under mount sink and new faucet.  My BIL told me Saturday that we can actually leave the pretty wood edges and have the laminate pried out and granite or quartz inlaid.  The material is much less expensive, but is the labor more.  Anyone out there any experience with this?  We had no idea this was possible.  I will be doing to some research.  But I am in no hurry.  I am sick of construction muss and fuss and expense.

Have a wonderful rest of your week!



 

6 comments:

  1. Yes, and I wouldn't bother, actually. When I was considering replacing my laminate, I found out that unless your cabinets have to be rated for the heavier countertop material, you will have to replace the underside cabinets, or over time you will be asking for trouble. I trust the contractor who told me this, as they had nothing to gain, and something to lose by me choosing a less expensive counter. So, while I would never expressly install laminate, if I bought a house with laminate, that is what I would stay with, rather than going with granite or quartz. Corian was an option too, but at that point we were looking at a marked price jump with little extra benefit. We decided to have our (ugly) laminate counters re-laminated. The old stuff was pried off, and then the installer was able to create a pretty beveled edge where there hadn't been one before. Between the choice of laminate (and there ARE some really pretty ones out there) and those edges, I was very, very pleased with the overall effect. It cost little more than labor, as laminate comes in sheets, and the laminate I picked was actually a remnant the installer had. So, that's my two cents! Good luck, and thanks for the peek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I never thought of that! That is very valuable information. If I bought the granite from a big box, they would gladly sell it to me I bet and not bother to mention problems! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. You have got to be so ready to be in that kitchen every day. A great kitchen can make a home a happy place. Bad one, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! DH gave a slight sideways look at the expense, but he has mentioned twice how much he loves the bright lights and knows I will get my money's worth because I cook everyday. Well, at least prepare. We really do not eat out much. And will not hardly at all in the country.

      Delete
  3. I have loved my under-counter lights since 1977. And, because I take care of them, my laminate counters are in perfect shape! Your kitchen is so pretty with the under-counter lights. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really think I will love working in my kitchen. I do day or two a week prep and then we eat off that rest of the week. Am interested to see how my pattern emerges when I don't have to drive 2 hours a day and work 40 hours a week.

      Delete