Monday, September 17, 2018

Ceiling Fan Project

I wish I had taken before photos. 

I happened to get a shot of the entire ceiling fan in one of the guest bedrooms from a while back, so I just enlarged it to show the fan.  Both rooms (pretty small) had this giant ceiling fan/light combo set up.  I rarely use overhead lights.  I prefer lamps.  But it is good to have the overhead light for emergency/finding something/vacuuming or some other projects once in a while.  So, I did not want to remove the lights altogether and cap the end, which would have been easier.  Replacing them would have been easier too, but much more expensive.  I spent about $20 for paint and globes.

Instead, I just wanted to remove the middle "row" of 4 lights from each fan.  I needed new globes for both.  I used the globes in other fans in my house where I needed large 100w equiv LED bulbs.  These 100W equiv LED bulbs are too big for a closed globe, which is all I was able to find these days for these 20+ year old fans.  So, I moved these 2 open globes to master bath fan and utility room fan, where I needed bright lighting.

I put new closed glass globes ($7.00 each) on the bedroom fans, since I could get away with 60w equiv LED bulbs.  DH helped me remove the "row" of lights and we rewired just for the single light.  Before I replaced the light to ceiling fan, I painted the fans, the blades and the light housing a flat white.  I don't mind the brass I have all over my house, but for these ceiling fans in small rooms, I thought the flat white might blend in better with the ceiling and minimize them, so I painted the brass flat white, along with the rest of the fan/light.

I got my inspiration from a blogger whose blog I just love.  "In My Own Style".  Diane Henkler.  https://inmyownstyle.com/the-easy-way-to-paint-a-ceiling-fan.html
Here are the before and both afters. 



Have a wonderful Monday!

2 comments:

  1. I put a white fan in the small room, the bathroom. Somehow, a different color seemed overwhelming. You did a good job, nice makeover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had the courage to try it because of Diane's blog.

      Delete