Thursday, September 13, 2018

Hurricane Florence

My hearts go out to all the people in the path of Florence.  So awful.  On the national news last night they showed bare food shelves, long lines a the home improvement stores and faces of scared people and animals.  We don't have hurricanes in the Midwest, obviously.  I have never been through anything like that.  I have been praying all week.

Last year I remember how bad the hurricanes were for Houston area and Puerto Rico.  I just hope and pray this one won't be so bad. 

During Katrina I was on a road trip from Scottsdale, AZ to Telluride, CO.  It was a weird trip.  I was with a person I was trying to help, so it was fraught with anxiety.  I drove all the way to Scottsdale by myself and I cannot even remember that part at all, I was so tired and stressed out.  I remember the top of my Honda convertible being down most of the way and I was listening to Alterbridge.  I had seen Myles Kennedy sing with the former members of Creed in a small club in KC and had loved him.  So, I pretty much wore the album One Day Remains out that trip.  It was summer of 2005.

After I picked up my friend in Scottsdale, we drove in our shorts and flip flips almost due north to Colorado.  By the time we got to Telluride, it was in the 50's and we had to buy shoes and long pants/sleeves.  It was probably the Sunday of Labor Day weekend when Katrina was raging in the Gulf when we got to Telluride.  I recall it because it tore me out of my own reverie. as we watched the news.

I remember Katrina also because we knew some friends from KC who were in New Orleans that weekend. 

They were kept safe in their hotel until the storm passed.  But as the surge came, the flooding was so bad.  Power went out.  No food, no water.  Our friends had stocked up as well as they could.  Carried what they could and started walking to Interstate 10.  They left all their bags and carried food and water.  They had people approach them asking for food or water.  My friends were scared.  They said no.

My friends got more scared.  As they were walking along I-10, a young man stopped to pick them up.  He was driving to Houston where he was a student.  To fit my friends in the car (4 of them), this young man removed some items from his car.  He drove these 4 total strangers to Houston.  They eventually caught a plane back to KC.

My friend and I eventually got back to KC.  Colorado was beautiful.  I had never been there before.  Driving a convertible through the mountains was amazing. 

My friend and I parted ways soon after Labor Day of 2005.  I could not help him, only he could help himself.  I had to help myself.  We can help each other, but only so much and only if they are willing to receive it.  My friend died a few years later.
 
So, while I was never involved in a hurricane directly, they bring back some powerful memories.  Dear Lord, please give comfort to those who are worried and care to those in danger.  People and animals alike.  Please let our country come together and help each other and feel love for mankind.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I have been in many hurricanes having lived most of my life in Florida. What I will never forget is how people help one another with out thought. All barriers are gone and we just become one. That is the only good to come from the disasters but it is pretty powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking this with 9/11 and with natural disasters too!

      Delete