Thursday, March 8, 2018

My Love Hate Relationship with March

I was born in March, so was my mom and my DGM (dad's mom).  It always meant just a peak at spring, after the long winter.  I grew up in the Midwest.  I lived away from the Midwest for 13 years.  I came back 18 years ago.  I still hate winter.  Or maybe I hate trying to get around outside when the weather is icy or snowy. 

The hate part comes from losing my mom in March 1991.  She turned 48 just 4 days prior to her death.  And my late husband SCG died in March 1993.  He was only 32.  Now I have a dear friend, S, who died at 47 in 2014...on March 7.  So yesterday and today I think of her.  I am sure i will write more on S.  I miss her so much.  There are some things i need to unpack there with that.  I will write about that later. 

Tues was dedicated to my DGM.  She turned 99.  After working late, i went over and took her  some fancy cupcakes.  She loved them.  I saved 2 for DH too.  Last year I found this cupcake store when I looked for a special treat to take her for her 98th bday.  She was in the hospital last year.  Almost died.  It was quite a spring last year.

My cousin N who has cancer sent me a frantic text tues to come help her, that her work was screwing around with her.  I had to text her and tell her I could not leave work.  I really need all my hours, things are a bit hectic with time and expenses right now, getting some work done on RH to move in and work on CH to get it sold.  I felt bad on one hand, but sort of annoyed on the other because when I called and texted later, she did not respond.  I have to just focus on my lane and let her follow her journey. 

Anyway.  Sometimes the best thing we can do when we feel like we can barely take care of ourselves is to reach out and "do" for another.  Be an ear for someone else, help someone with something, give someone a ride...maybe even just a text or a call...smile at a stranger.  But get out of our own head!

Last night I went to a hot yoga class...first one since our other instructor left in Nov.  It was good.  I slept very well.  Gonna try to go again tonight.  I don't do 2 in a row a lot.  So, might be a bit challenging.  I would rather walk outside tonight, but is still a bit cool and gets dark too soon.  But the clocks change Sat!

I just read this quote on "the Garden of Pensiveness":  "To strengthen the muscles of your heart, the best exercise is lifting someone else's spirit whenever you can."
   -Dodinsky

2 comments:

  1. I have never been a fan of the month of March either. It's hard not to suffer from seasonal depression during March when you live in the midwest. You have suffered way too much loss; too many young deaths. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. March can be depressing! Esp if one isn't a big basketball fan! But baseball season is soon! I try to remember all my blessings, because they are numerous!

    ReplyDelete