Monday, March 26, 2018

Can This Day be Over Already

So, we had a great visit to another state to visit family and go to a relative's wedding.  The wedding was beautiful, the bride was stunning...Saw so many relatives, far and near.  It was just a great trip.  However, it was also tiring. I drove 8.5 hours Thurs and 9 hours back Sun.  We did take a 30 min detour and pop in to my retirement home on the way back yesterday.  My Uncle got to see my RH and we checked in on the tile work in progress. 
I think I am really going to love it.  Looks really nice with the cool gray and white of my bathroom.  The tile is warm yellowish beige tones.  Warms up the room.  My contractor complimented my choices.  I think all he has left to do is grout and clean up.
It was great to get home to my DH.  He stayed home with the doggies.  He was not thrilled at the prospect of being in the car with my VERY hard of hearing aunt and uncle.  And repeating one self over and over, practically yelling is tiring, but I was honored to be able to drive them and take care of them.  They have done so much for my sister and I.  Letting us come stay with them in the summer, showing me how much they love me, etc.  GREAT people. 
So, DH had dinner ready for me when I got home.  He even did grocery shopping and did some packing!  I was so proud of him and so glad to be embraced in a comforting hug.  Seeing my cousin's lovely young daughter and just all the reminiscing just made me tired and emotional.  So, I just chalked it up to that...then I relized that today is the day my Dear Belated Husband died in 1993 at age 32.  So, I have that making me blue, it is cold a raining here, so that adds to it...it is Monday, eta.
Except those things are not the main source of my emotion today...Our older dog, he is about 11 years old...well he is just not doing well.  He is declining in movement and sleeping a lot, but he still eats and drinks and gets around pretty good.  Well, DH said he has begun intermitten yelping once in a while.  DH thougth at first he was just dreaming, but he did it 3 or 4 times after I got home last night.  I was convinced he waited for me to get home and would not make it through the night, but he did and DH took him to vet today.  I missed 2 days next week, so it is hard to miss this week, but I am leaving early because while he is at the vet having tests, I am just sick to the point of distraction.  I realize he is getting older and I accept that dogs have a much shorter life span that I would wish...but I am really upset thinking it is so near and worrying that he is in distress.  Also, I told my DH I really am going to be devastated when he dies not matter what/when...but the possibility of it being so soon and before we move to Arkansas breaks my heart into a million pieces.  I see the pain in DH eyes too.  So, we have to be strong and grateful for every second with him. 
Wish us luck.  I will try to be back tomorrow.  Have a great Monday.  My lovely cousin is off to her enchanted honeymoon, where I bask in the happiness of my cousin - its her daughter and she is so happy.  I am going to hang on to that, because they are both special to me. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had a rough day.
    I wanted to ask, what are the reasons y'all picked Arkansas to retire to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to grad school in Arkansas. After my dear late husband passed, I moved there to start over. Went to school. Eventually ended back in my home state in 2001. Eventually met my DH and turns out we both have connections there. My mother and father in law live there, plus my sister in law and her husband in same little town we picked. Plus, my sister lives there an hour away. It is fate! It is certainly much cheaper than the city/state we are in now! Taxes will be about 1/3 and they lock us in real estate taxes will never go up on our home, once my husband turns 65 in a year.

      Delete