Monday, September 3, 2018

Inspiration

Happy Labor Day!

The prayer of a good person has a powerful effect.
     ---James 5:16

I listen to inspirational pod casts.  In one I heard that boundary-less families make family members feel like they are responsible for others' emotions.  I grew in in this crucible.   I have learned differently.

Back to my word of the year...abide.  I will abide with God and I will choose daily mindfulness.  Being present and grateful  is something I am working on.  I do not have the power to control,  help, fix others.  It also means they are not responsible to me and my expectations are not too high.

And I also heard that young people who have family trauma, like addiction or neglect, choose to feel like victims.  Feeling like a victim can be a cycle.  Being a victim is another manifestation of or obstacle to humility.  I have no self esteem, so let me show you how smart, pretty, successful, bad-assed I am...No room for humiity in that cycle...

I am grateful for electricity, and for ac.  It is still 90s here.  Uggggh.

Yesterday we were on a beautiful golf course.   This evening I am in a disgusting extended stay...evidently they are with limited electricity and  no hot water or cable...but at we still have electricity.

2 comments:

  1. I believe we all have the power to help others, and I believe it is our duty. Maybe you have not recovered enough to see this or be helpful. I don't know.

    You are saying a baby who is beaten chose to be a victim? You are saying a five-year-old who is raped and sodomized chose to be a victim?

    I do not understand how being a victim is an obstacle to humility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for your for pointed out my lack of clarity Linda! I am saying we can help others for sure! I have to help others and have no expectations or goals - just out of goodness. Or I can be disappointed. I am not, however, responsible for others feelings or emotions - or even whether they take my help/advice. Similarly, the victim thing I think is the choice to stay a victim and never move on from it, or move on and stop focusing on the victim aspect. I think it is what makes the difference between people who have bad things happen and just never get past it and people who have bad things happen but go on to achieve great things...even if the great thing is forgiveness and love - what greater thing is there than love?

    ReplyDelete