Thursday, September 27, 2018

Last Day at Work

I did not come here to make friends.  I did not even plan to have any friends here.
At my last job, I left with my head down and my tail tucked.  The End.  No more contact.  No goodbyes.  No nothing.  It was horrible.  I know work friends are not like close friends/family.  But in my 20's through my mid 30's - this job was everything to me.  It still hurts me.  The finality of leaving.  The why, along with the how.  The continuing sadness and second-guessing.  Maybe someday I will have the courage to write more about it.  Suffice it to say, much of the news in the last couple years has brought back a flood of memories of my corporate experience from 1991 through 2005. 

A FLOOD of memories.

Anyway, I can say things here in this blog and the thin veil of anonymity that I do not feel free to say on social media.  My good friends can only feel so sorry for me for retiring at 51.  But the truth is, I am terrified.  My current work friend pointed out, "...you should not be afraid of retirement...[it] should be afraid of you..."

I am going to miss this guy, and many people I work with.  Some truly treasured and valued friends.  More on that, when typing about it does not make me cry.

I am going to let that be my mantra.  My Rosetta Stone, one of my professors used to say. 

Have a great Thursday, everyone!  I know I will.  Today is my last day at work.

2 comments:

  1. I retired the first time at 54, the second time at 62. Both times I said I would not miss the job but I would really miss my friends.
    Make the last day a pleasant one. Your future is bright and there will be new friends waiting to be made.

    ReplyDelete