Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Concert

We had such a fun date night last night.  My husband and I stayed as late as possible with the dogs and walked them all twice, since we would have to delay their usual 9pm walking.  We were not hungry, so we did not bother to eat out before, we decided to just grab something there.  DH and I have had no appetites since we have had this sinus/sore throat stuff. 

DH had sprung for amazing seats.  He likes us to sit up close and on the end.  We got there way early and had a bite.  It was 95+, but we were at least in the shade. 

Judas Priest was first.  They have 2 original members, Rob Halford vocals and Ian Hill, bass.  Drummer Scott Travis joined later, but still been with them since 1989.  I read in Wikipedia that Scott Travis was responsible for hiring Halford's replacement, Tim "Ripper" Owens in 1996.  This is what the movie Rock Star is loosely based on.  If you haven't seen it, it is really good.  Starring Mark Wahlberg and Ripper.  His girlfriend is Jennifer Anniston in the film.  There is even a cameo of one of my very favorite singers, Myles Kennedy.  Anyway, I ramble.

Rob Halford reunited with JP in 2003.  DH and I flew to see them in Dallas in 2010.  I am fortunate to see them then, with all original members includine K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton.  Downing left in 2011 and evidently, Tipton recently had to stop touring, because he has Parkinsons.  The sources I looked at did not have the replacement guitar name updated.  JP is known for their dualing guitars, which is somewhat unique.  DH has loved them since the start (1969).  DH says JP got him through the disco years.  along with Ozzy.  Sort of like how Metallica and Rob Zombie got me through the grunge years.

Anyway, DH and I knew right away we had similar musical tastes, which we both fancied because we love rock and roll and esp metal.  We enjoy concerts and plan to continue as long as we are able and can afford a splurge.  On the way home, we talked about some of the acts we would still pay to see...we agree on our bucket list is still Robin Trower - neither one of us has seen him yet. 

Much of my music taste has been shaped by DH and before him, friends I have had.  Also my late husband SCG.  SCG loved Robin Trower and Deep Purple and introduced me to them both (along with Ozzy, Queensryche and Joe Walsh).  I have seen Ozzy 6 times, Queensryche twice and Joe Walsh once.  I could do a weeks worth of posts on concerts.

So I was nostalgic and honored to finally see Deep Purple.

So excited I got to see the Ian's - Ian Gillan and Ian Paice.  Ian Paice is one of my favorite drummers ever.  Just listen to "Burn" sometime and consider the stamina.  He still has it.  He is 70 years old, BTW.  Ian Gillan cannot quite hit the high notes, like he used to, but God love him - that guy is 73!

Very impressed with the great talent of new keyboard player, Don Airey.  Per Wikipedia:  Donald Smith Airey (born 21 June 1948) has been the keyboardist in the rock band Deep Purple since 2002, after the retirement of Jon Lord. He has had a long and productive career, playing with such acts as Gary Moore, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Whitesnake, Saxon, Wishbone Ash, Steve Vai, Colosseum II, Ten, Sinner, Michael Schenker, Rainbow, Empire, Thin Lizzy, Brian May, Divlje jagode and Living Loud. He has also worked with Andrew Lloyd Webber. He was amazing.  DH and I agree we need keyboards to come back in rock and roll.

Also a great artist is Steve Morse.  Steve Morse (born July 28, 1954) is an American guitarist and composer, best known as the founder of the Dixie Dregs; and since 1994, the guitar player of Deep Purple. Morse's career has encompassed rock, country, funk, jazz, classical, and fusion of these musical genres. In addition to his successful solo career, he was briefly a member of Kansas in the mid-1980s. Most recently, Morse became a member of the supergroup Flying Colors alongside long-time bandmate Dave LaRue.  He was great too! 

It was hot!  But a wonderful show in our favorite venue in the entire city.  I was an hour late getting into work today.  Oops.  First time this year.  I am never late to work.

2 comments:

  1. I applaud you for attending concerts. I can't quite gear up for it, but I admire those who do. Sounds like it was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only go if we get good seats. I do not like crowds and hate the feeling of not having a place to sit down. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete