Friday, September 7, 2018

Mom's Pillow


My mom cross stitched a pillow that says "When things look down, look up".  I treasure it.  It reminds me of the simple homespun advice she used to give me.  Happiness is a state of mind.  Then I grew wiser and more worldly and decided her advise was oversimplified.  And I had more education and more experience that my mom.  My inner message of victimhood versus state of mind was easier than self accountability and bolstered by headlines and advertisements.  Headlines about people doing stupid things and suing people and advertisements about medicine you could take to make you happy.  You don't have to do the hard work - blame someone else...take a pill!

And then I turned another corner.  I started really looking at my place in how my life is experienced and realized much of how I feel really is up to me.  I am not saying that medication is unnec or a sign of weakness.  But I would rather try medicine as a holistic approach.  Try other things too, like exercise, eating right, rest and cleaning my side of the street.  Sometimes life is not just about who is at fault. 

As life hands us challenges, we learn we don't have to face it alone. 

From my daily Proverbs 31 ministries devotion.
How often do we turn our gaze inward and overlook the beauty our heavenly Father has prepared for us? How often do we concentrate on the things of this world instead of turning our eyes to what’s truly important?  If you’re like me, when it seems like joy has left the building, I need to remind myself often of what’s true: “This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it” (Psalm 118:24).
     -KariAnn Wood

Burt Reynolds died at 82 yesterday.  He seemed like a fun loving, superficial guy who had everything handed to him.  But he wanted to be a foot ball player and was injured.  He had a slow start in acting.  He overcame his own obstacles, like we all have.  He used humor as a way to interact with the world.  Which I relate to.  I admired his roles in his light, funny movies.  And sort of feel like he reminded me a little of my dad.  My dad was a handsome, mustachioed guy's guy who also went through life thinking he had the world by string and had people admire him for the twinkle in his eye.  I can see why my mom loved my dad so much and stuck with him.

Patton Oswald, the comedian tweeted yesterday "Burt Reynolds & Clint Eastwood were fired from Gunsmoke & Rawhide at the same time.  Burt was told he couldn't act and Clint was told his neck was too skinny.  In the parking lot, Burt said to Clint.  'I dunno know what you're gonna do, but I'm gonna take acting lessons' ". 

God moves mountains, but you better bring a shovel.  Do the hard work, but do it with style and humor. 

BR said "All you really have in the end are your stories".  I am going to make some fun stories this weekend.  I hope you do too! 

I still want a 1977 Trans Am.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought Burt Reynolds had it easy. I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was funny what he said to Clint. He really was a funny guy. I saw him on talk shows and he cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete