Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Summer Food

Is there anything better?  This is a  large bag of tomatoes my work friend, B, brought me.  I will blog about B later.  He is quite a character.  He was born in Midwest, east of here and grew up in California.  Got so he did not feel he belonged there any longer...different ideology, sick of the taxes/expense, outgrew his friends, burnout career (sounds familiar) and wanted a change.   Picked out Midwest states to consider, sold his walnut orchard and moved east to the Midwest.  He bought a large piece of land out in the boonies an hour away from the city he and I work in.  Then, bought some more land...he now has 200 acres.  He lives alone with his 5 dogs.  He grows trees, chickens, ducks, apples and this year quite the garden.  More on B, I am sure - he is very entertaining.  My husband is so fond of him, that when I suggest dinners or visits out to his land, DH is all for it!

Last on Friday he brought me zucchini, yellow squash, heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn and cucumbers.  Today more today more tomatoes.  DH and I have really tried to focus on vegetables in the last week, we were getting a little sluggish and yucky feeling from the stress of the sale, move, closing and hotel adjustments.  His numbers at the doctor even showed our backslide into fast food.  So, for about a week we have eaten much veggies and  can already feel a difference. 

So, we are reveling in these yummies treats and enjoying our seasonal eating.  Tonight I am going to hot yoga and cannot wait.  Was so sick last week I did not go and I really miss it. 
Have a wonderful Tuesday. 

2 Corinthians 9:10  ESV
He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness.

6 comments:

  1. What variety of maters are those? Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are beefeaters and Brandywine? Brandy somethings. We had 2 purple Cherokee over the weekend that were amazing. He says a man in his small town grows them from seeds and sells the seedlings for .50 each. He is going to bring me some next spring when he comes to visit along with a couple of horseradish plants.

      Delete
  2. Such a nice post. Your friend sounds like a nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since his is single and lives so far away from work and does not really have a kitchen, I make him stuff all the time from his bounty - this weekend I made a wonderful soup (I will post the recipe) and brought him some, applesauce, apple pie, left overs - he is not picky at all and appreciates the home cooked food. Everybod wins.

      Delete
  3. What's better than gardening? Having a friend who does. Enjoy the bounty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be that friend in my neighborhood RH - my sister in law is not into it and my in laws are getting too old, so DH and I hope to pick up that yoke. I figure we will have a few years learning curve!

      Delete