Saturday, July 21, 2018

If Someone Told You to Jump of a Bridge...

My dad instilled in me the instinct to be aware, question what the herd is doing.  I used to hear this quote a lot, especially as a teenager.  "if someone told you to jump of a bridge, would you?".  I ask questions...it might stem from my anxiety/slight OCD, but I think mostly because I grew up on a very busy lake and rode horses all over the countryside at a young age.  On the airplane I watch the safety demonstration, I use safety glasses, I participate in the fire escape exercise, I never ride my motorcycle without a helmet, I always wear my seatbelt in a car.  If I am in a boat (especially enclosed), I am going to wear a lifejacket.  Even if the people around me are not, I would at least have one in my lap.  Now I wonder if the life jackets not only would not help,  they may impede one getting out and under away from the canopy.  I know I have taken risks and made bad judgments.  I truly feel that but for the grace of my higher power (I choose to call God), there go I.

My husband and I have kayaks.  I have only gone out in it a couple of times, on non moving water.  I told my husband a couple of weeks ago that when we take our first trip on a river, I will be wearing lifejacket and a helmet.  I am a strong swimmer.  But I am not 20 anymore. 

There is much talk about the storm coming "out of nowhere" or whether it was pretty clear it was coming well before the boats left shore.  I know someone whose wife was delivering CPR to some of the victims.  I know many friends who have ridden these duck boats (I have not).  I am not crazy about going out on my lake from childhood anymore...just too busy and choppy.  I am too nervous and I have worked too many claims (more about that some future blog).  But people do it all the time, all summer.  Now we have learned 9 of these victims were from one family.  So sad.  Really makes me ponder.

It is so sad those people were out on the lake during a storm.  I have ridden my motorcycle in a couple of storms, maybe someday I will blog about it...but today, my thoughts, my prayers and my heart are going out to all those people on vacation, trying to show their fsmily a fun time.  Some question the decency of bystanders filming it.   Anticipate all the lawsuits...but this event serves as a reminder how precious life is, how powerful nature is and how we gotta take care of each other and pay attention.

5 comments:

  1. I always comment that I will wear a life jacket on a cruise and do not care what anyone thinks about it. I am also a weather watcher and in no way would go out on a boat without thoroughly checking several weather maps, apps, and the news. I am just that way. Maybe it is a fault, but it affects no one but me.

    I don't think it was in poor taste to film the ordeal at all! As a matter of fact, I think it will be helpful in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with this. I do some safety stuff and people laugh, but I worked 15 years in insurance claims and I am always thinking ahead.

      Delete
  2. As a former motorcycle rider and kayaker I too know the importance of safety gear. In fact my retired motorcycle helmet is now my tornado hat. They say most tornado injuries are to the head.
    You may have a point about the life jackets on the duck boat possibly being a hazard. I thought the same thing. The purpose of the filming may have lacked some decency but I think will really help the investigation. The whole thing is just heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our retirement house is in Arkansas, so I think I too will use a motorcycle helmet as my tornado hat! Great idea! Thanks. We will be up in the NW corner, west of all the craziness in Gentry.

      Delete
    2. Good use of your motorcycle helmet. I live in Arkansa too. I keep a bicycle helmet in my interior closet, in case of tornadoes. My hubby laughs at me (he is from KS) as he doesn't have a healthy fear of tornadoes.

      Delete