Monday, July 16, 2018

Let's discuss death some more, shall we?

So late Friday I got a private message that a friend from high school had suddenly lost her husband.  He was 55 and died suddently and unexpectedly.  Either heat stroke or heart attack.  So horrible.  They have 2 children.  His funeral is tomorrow, but it is 1)  3 hours, 2)  during a weekday and 3)  I can't afford to miss work and 4)  we have a deadline at work.  So, I am not driving down.  Several of my classmates will represent our class and support her.

Over the weekend, completely coincidentally, my in-laws-wanted to discuss their arrangements.  They had 2 sons (out of 3) and DIL present.  So we discussed.  I am getting ready to email our state attorney general and I will give you the backstory of why...

In the late 80's or early 90's my PIL purchased 2 prepaid funeral packages and paid several thousand dollars.  My MIL methodically for several years wrote checks and kept check stubs and notes and eventually received confirmation that they had paid both packages in full.  15-20 years go by and in late 2009 they receive notice from another state that 3 companies selling such "policies" were in bankruptcy and if my PIL wanted to make a claim, they had to do so my January 23, 2010.  I suggested they send their forms provided by the special receiver (trustee) via certified mail.  They did so.

We have heard nothing.  I am now going to follow up and see what information I can get, if any.  I am going to call the number set up by the trustee in the other state and I am also going to contact the state attorney general office in the state where PIL purchased their packages.  They live in a 3rd state.  Are you keeping up?  Confused?  So are we.

2 comments:

  1. Now that is frightening. I have resisted prepaying my cremation for that very reason. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you read my post today, we received great news that their policies will be honored! So happy and relieved for them.

      Delete