Thursday, July 26, 2018

Recipe

I am not crazy about zucchini or yellow squash - to be more accurate - I have never liked the versions I have had a restaurants.  They always overcook it.  Hate the yucky limp mushy texture.  So, when I married DH, he explained how much better it was grilled just al dente, with some salt and pepper and nice grill marks, a little drizzle of olive oil or balsamic vinegar.  Yum.  Well, I can't really grill at hotel, but I have been making this recipe a couple years and we just love it.  It is light enough for summer.

ZUCCHINNI AND YELLOW SQUASH SOUP
2 T olive oil
1 T butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 T minced fresh garlic
4 t chopped fresh rosemary
3 lbs. diced green & yellow summer squash
8 c chicken stock
salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil and butter in a large heavy soup pot, then add onion and saute about 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.  Add garlic and rosemary and cook 3-5 minutes more.  Add chicken stock and simmer 10 minutes.  Then add the chopped squash, season to taste with salt and pepper, turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, until squash is soft and the flavors are blended.  Use an immersion blender or a food processor to puree the soup.  When mixture is pureed, simmer the soup for an additional 20 minutes, or until the soup is reduced by one-fourth and slightly thickened.  Garnish with grated Parmesan on top.
Can easily forego the cheese to be dairy free (me) or use vegetable stock if you have vegetarian friends (like some of mine).  I also enjoy adding a pinch of crushed red pepper for some heat.
I hope you try it and enjoy.  I cannot credit the source, I got in on the internet.

4 comments:

  1. I like squash and zucchini over-cooked or raw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never acquired a taste for either. Maybe this recipe will change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it. If you like rosemary, you will like this.

      Delete