Friday, July 27, 2018

Coaxing

I have been thinking about what retirement will be like.  Not the money, or the schedule or the to-do lists, or the relaxation or the clothes or the time...but what will my state of mind be? 

The other day I was waiting for my Aunt to pick me up.  I went to a ball game to see my cousin's son play ball.  I knew I went downstairs early, but I wanted to be out waiting plenty of time, because I knew we were cutting it close to be there at start of game.  A man also staying in the extended stay started chatting...all I can say about him is that he is good at coaxing.  Anyone who gets to know me has to be a little bit patient.  I am not an unfriendly person...I am just not great at small talk.  I don't really care about it.  So, I don't really do it too much.  When the man asked me my name, I told him and mentioned my husband's name...because he had seen us together and I wanted him to get to know my DH too.  DH and I both have very diff approaches to friends...more on this later.  The man's name is Bill, which is funny because DH and I know 2 other very talkative Bill's.

3 comments:

  1. I'm one of those who talks to anyone. Just recently when my friend and I were eating in a restaurant, I started talking to the only other person in the room with us. We had a fun conversation. He left first and shortly our waitress came in and said he had paid for both our meals. Guess he was just grateful to have a conversation while eating alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talk to everyone! I am great at small talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I become more willing and better at it. My aunt has been retired for 5 years, she said retired people are happier and easier to make friends. She and my uncle have become more social. That is another subject, really than slowing down and just enjoying small talk.

    ReplyDelete