Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Summer is Waning?

The other evening we were sitting outside our house (our only home now thank goodness).  We were listening to the cicadas and watching the flag not move.  No breeze.  Just stifling heat and I was wishing for the summer heat lightening and clouds.  It seems like at both our city and our country place, we have seen lots of clouds this year, but we are in the grip of a weird spotty drought.  Areas close by have received regular rain this year, but not the immed vicinity. 

The next morning (Sunday), we were again sitting at our picnic table drinking coffee.  Right now, my favorite times to be outside are first thing in the morming (I wish I was early enough riser to say sunrise) and sunset - it is just too hot.  Has been over 95 degrees a lot - since May!  The cicadas seem to have diff sound in the early versus late in the afternoon.  They are loud.  They remind me of summer so much.  More so of the last part of summer, as I have aged and noticed subtle seasonal things more.  I remember being a kid and coming to visit my grandparents in the city and I remember going to bed when it was still light outside and having such a hard time sleeping because of all the sounds.  At our rural home, we did not have all the sounds of traffic, other people outside, etc.  I remember wanting to go out and play with the kids I could hear outside while I lay there and tried to sleep in the city.  I remember the window being open and a fan in it.  I hardly remember not having AC as a child.  So, did my grandmother and grandfather not have AC?  Maybe they just had a window unit?  I cannot remember.  I can't ask my mom, but I can ask what my aunts remember.
I also remark about how soon the sunset times accelerate as soon as summer solstice comes and goes.  I hate doing that!  Feel like I need to be grateful for everyday and not wish it by.  But I noticed last night it was pitch black at 9:10pm.

For everything there is a season,
 and a time for every matter under heaven:
 a time to be born,
 and a time to die;
 a time to plant,
 and a time to pluck up what is planted;
 a time to kill,
 and a time to heal;
 a time to break down,
 and a time to build up;
 a time to weep,
 and a time to laugh;
 a time to mourn,
 and a time to dance;
 a time to throw away stones,
 and a time to gather stones together;
 a time to embrace,
 and a time to refrain from embracing;
 a time to seek,
 and a time to lose;
 a time to keep,
 and a time to throw away;
 a time to tear,
 and a time to sew;
 a time to keep silence,
 and a time to speak;
 a time to love,
 and a time to hate;
 a time for war,
 and a time for peace.
 [Ecclesiastes 3:1-18; NRSV]

Anyway, those moments also serve as my stop and smell the roses consciousness this past weekend.  DH and I lingered and took our time getting the house shut down and all our tasks we do before we leave to drive back to the city.  It was nice.  We hated coming back.  Not much longer though, just over 2 months.  It was cloudy and cooler last night, so we took a walk.  I really enjoyed it.  I love being outside as much as I can.  Always have.

What makes you think of summer?  Do you have cicadas where you are?  What makes you thinking of seasons passing?  Summer waning?

1 comment:

  1. Summer-Longer evenings, heat, mosquitoes, tomatoes, canning
    Seasons passing--it just happens so quickly now that I am older.
    No cicadas except the 17-year kind.
    Summer waning--leaves that fall prematurely in August, nuts on trees becoming fuller

    Summers of my childhood were long and hot and in the country. Now, the ac ameliorates the agony of the heat. Of course, the heat makes me ill now.

    ReplyDelete