Friday, January 12, 2018

Thursday Snow Day, Finally Friday

I stayed home yesterday.  The temp dropped from way above freezing to below while it rained iceapprox 8 to noon.  We did not get a whole lot of ice, fortunately.  And since I go in 6:20am to arrive by 7, I prob would have been fine, but after the ice the forecast was snow, so I was more concerned about the commute home.  One year it showed a couple inches during the workday and it took me 3 hours to drive home.  It was nice, DH stayed home too.  Plus, I had just washed my car and took photos to list it online for sale, so it seemed sort of like tempting fate!

I did laundry and listed a bunch of more of our old work clothes we won't wear if we are retired.  I have had more luck selling men's clothes/shoes lately than mine.  The website I use (Poshmark) I think is exploding, but instead of more selling, I think people are all wanting to get rid of stuff and it has become a lot like an online garage sale.  I see genuine leather jackets go for $20-$25 and nice leather shoes for $8.  It is fine to get rid of large hoard of stuff, but if I am giving it away, I would rather just load the car and give it away, literally.  Which I also did.  My DH has started to work on his closet and we have spent couple of hours 2 diff days down in it sort of getting an overview of strategy.  I think I now have removed most of the stuff of any value he does not want to keep and have listed it (like 10 really nice canvas/twill type Tommy Hilfiger shirts he has had laundered professionally that are spotless.  Also about 10 of his really nice basic suits).  The rest he is 1) keeping - I am not sure where he is going to put 50 Harley tee shirts, lol; 2)  donating or 3) throwing away.  But at least, we sort of have it figured out.  I also listed his travel golf bag and my car online! 

As far as staging my house, I have decided that the 4 bookcases we are keeping in our basement, we are going to go ahead and move them and stage the space another way.  I have a large picture and a chair I am going to move from master bedroom down there.  DH and I think the more bigger stuff we can move each trip, the better off we will be.  We may even sell the Suburban before next fall.  It is 19 years old and we got a good deal on it, but we had to put a little more into fixing some things than we had planned.  We have just about decided that rather than keeping an older vehicle that is not exactly what we want or need (we don't really need 4wd, but if we do, we would almost rather have a truck).  So, if we get our stuff basically all moved without having to rent a trailer or spend way more time, then the repairs will have paid for themselves and we will go ahead and cut our loss.  We also have a 14 year old Camry, but it is low miles and we think it will last for years and is more economical, so we think we will keep it longer and maybe get a small truck instead of old suburban and my new expensive SUV.  So excited to consolidate our assets/efforts and get rid of debt!

I am ready to move and want to do more, but really we are sort of in a waiting pattern until we can get couple more loads to RH, including getting the bookcases out of basement.  First we will move all the Christmas stuff and some other stuff (cabinet from dining room) i have packet up.  Then next trip (early Feb we will move the bookcases).  Then move loveseat out of the basement, get the carpet re-stretched and cleaned.  Then move couch and chair from master downstairs and stage with the large painting.  Move dresser from master to RH and late winter, move large shelf from master to RH master closet for sweaters/sweatshirts/shoes.

All while I am trying to help take care of Granny and work full time.  Ugggghhhhh.  I will be glad when this is all over.  We have tried to talk Granny in to moving with us, but she thinks she cannot leave her daughter and cannot intrude on us.  Actually I would consider it an honor to care for her and much prefer to her going to a nursing home and also, it really would be much easier for me.  But I truly doubt she will come with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment