Thursday, June 27, 2019

Thursday Thirst

So I am on day 4 of no sugar.  Think no added sugar, not zero sugar.  I still have 2 pieces of fruit a day.  Like in my smoothies, or an apple.  But I have it all, the fiber and all.  Any doubts at all as to how bad processed food is for us...just check out this article.  I could not believe it.  It is crazy.
https://www.eatthis.com/unhealthiest-foods-2018/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=msn-feed

There is a salad in this list that has 1000 calories!  WOW.  And if we think that advertisements do not mislead us, we are naïve.  Many of the things in the list might be things we try to be more healthy than what we really want (fruit smoothies, protein bar, Lean Cuisine, salad).  I would rather just try to eat whole food, so I know what is in the food and it is cheaper anyway.  Then, if I really want to try the candy bar, I have the candy bar...but not this month.  I am trying to go one month with no sugary treats, to see if it makes me feel better.  My tummy has been hurting a little more lately.

I think it is a combination of not getting the level of rest and sleep I was getting before I went back to work.  After all, I am driving an extra 10 hours a week alone.  Not to mention the 40 hours I am working and the stress of it.  I will be glad when Sept gets here.

I was looking at my FB timeline and a memory popped up that yesterday exactly one year ago was the last day in our City House.  We stayed 3 months in a noise, disgusting hotel, then retired.  We travel quite a bit, did lots of projects around the house...I read a devotional earlier in the week that said when we feel feelings, just be in it.  I learned that years ago for some things I went through as a young adult (normal life stuff, relationships, heartaches, job issues, disappointments) but when it came to a more gradual, should-have-been-all-positive aspect about retiring, I jumped the gun and had to jump into action.  I won't be fooled next time. 

After this gig, I plan to take off the rest of fall and all winter and look at things in the late winter/spring.  Maybe get a part time job or volunteer, or both. 

I think DH is doing his own adjusting too.  Finding himself busier with me gone, of course, but he has been checking in with his sister, helping at her store and yesterday met his brother halfway between city and retirement town and they played golf. 

Anyway, have a great day - it is Thursday.  Weekend, then short week next week! 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on day 4. My weakness are the small Dove chocolates. I try to eat only one a day but sometimes slip up. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will probably never give up sugar. I jus had 6 choc chips.

    ReplyDelete