Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Free Lawn Decoration - Score!

My brother in law has some land.  He saved me a giant flat rock that was broken in half.  I picked it up when DH was up in the city for a doctor's appt.  We buried in ground couple of inches, flanking our driveway.  I am going to fasten house number on one side.  The solar light faintly lights the rocks at night.  We buried these Sunday afternoon.  It was hot work.  It was good timing that BIL and his wife were in retirement town to see DH parents, we got to see them.  We missed them when we stopped by their house in city Thurs.  We had dinner with everyone Sat night and lunch Sunday.  We shared some of our homegrown tomatoes. 

We are still getting a few tomatoes.  They did not grown large, but better than a lot of people's.  We are still getting quite a few grape and cherry.  Some are split from all the rain.  I just cook those and keep in freezer.  I blend them up peel and all with hand held blender.  I will use this for pasta sauce or soup stock this winter.

Monday we mowed and I watered everything.  I got a couple new hoses from Walmart.com that are silver and look sort of like aluminum.  They are lightweight and don't kink.  Don't take up so much room in the grass to mow around.  While I am gone this week, DH is installing a couple of hose keepers on the front and side of house.  We did have a keeper hung on back for large house - that does most of my rear garden/landscaping. 

DH is also going to buy pool noodles and electric tape and repair/rewrap the 3 outside/free standing water spouts to insulate them.  He also said he would research how much insulation/what type of machine rental to blow it in we need.  Then we are going to install a little more flooring in attack to store stuff we don't need down below taking up room. 

Honestly, we go back and forth between continuing to work on this house and look for a smaller yard.  But, I am fine with taking over all the mowing, if I have to.  The riding mower is nice, but not high dollar like some of our friends/relatives.  I know people who have $1000 in just their seat.  So, seat bounces DH around quite a bit, hurting his back.  Next time we mow, he going to try push mower.

We went through lake area on our way back Friday afternoon, spent one night with our Florida friend.  We missed his wife this trip.  DH staying home with the dogs this weekend, I will be by lake again.  Spending some time with my aunt/cousins at the lake, then some time with an out of state school friend - we are all 4 girls going to run by see our other friend who has cancer.  I will get to see friend and wife too, from Florida.  Going to be away from DH for 10 days, which we hate.  I told him I have about 4- 6 weeks left at work.  Then I am taking another break.  I am tired.  Got up this morning and drove to city at 4am.  Not too bad when it is warm, I can't imaging trying to do this when it is cold.  Yuck. 


2 comments:

  1. I like the rock. My friend hurt his back on a small, inexpensive riding mower. He used an old egg-crate bed topper folded twice to help is back. He had hurt it so many times that it got to be a chronic problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and thank you for the tip.

    ReplyDelete