Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Cancer, I Hate You

Drove home late Thursday, got home around 9:30pm.  Was sooooooo happy to see DH and the dogs after being gone 10 days.  That is the longest we have ever been apart - never again!  Not to mention the 4 loads of laundry!

Friday after I did my walk with the big dog, we had errands.  We took the old convertible.  He did fine.  We checked on an old index annuity I have been stuck in since my days of being an insurance agent - LONG story.  Point is...don't play footsie with any insurance company - they will take you down.

We had a nice late lunch/early dinner at a Mexican restaurant we had been meaning to try.  Yum.  Then we went back home, checked on the dogs then went to see Hobbs and Shaw with Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham.  It was fun.

Saturday, more piddling around the house and we ate a sandwich for dinner.  I was tired.  Think it is all the running I have been doing (plus I did my usual 4 mile workout at the gym) and projects at home.  Sunday we mowed and I made a homemade chicken potpie and mashed potatoes.  Our tomatoes have just dwindled to nothing - I think they got too hot or too crowded.  So, we had to settle for olives as our veggie.  Ha.  Then Sunday night I got the news I had dreaded, my friend since 3rd grade passed.

My group on text group with each other - we have grown even closer the last year and a half as we shared the ups and downs of cancer diagnosis with N and L - all of us friends since 3rd grade (some since kindergarten).  The downs are obvious.  The ups?  Well, lots of hope, lots of prayers, sharing feelings, supporting each other, lots of love, learning and when they finally pass - they are at peace and out of pain. 

Thanks for reading.  I will try to be upbeat next time.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry for the loss of your friend. I am a downer, too, since I became homeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP you are going to get through this. Just a change of address, I hope. You are truly being challenged right now in your circumstances. I am happy you are still communicating - that is an important outlet for you, I think.

      Delete
  2. I will also add, evidently my friend who just passed (N) might have been on the verge of having his home auctioned for past due taxes. The community threw him a big fundraiser last winter and they raised several thousand dollars. I don't know final tally, but I figure $10k area. Then N and his girlfriend bought a truck and took a couple of trips (stayed for free with people) so all they had to purchase was airfare. Many people are offended and feel he should have spent the money differently. Me, I can't really judge because I have never been diagnosed with a terminal illness (he was told 6 months to a year WITH treatment). Maybe travelling is just the ticket when you are getting ready to die. The truck - I would have chosen differently but it is what it is. My point - no one can understand or judge someone for their choices - we can guess, we can think we will choose more wisely, but it just makes me feel icky anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I do the human thing and judge, I keep it to myself. I have a friend who espouses strong Christianity virtues. She really is trying, I get it. But when she lectures about Christ and then tells me judging things about me and other people, it just turns me off.

      Delete