Monday, December 11, 2017

RIP Rusty

My DIL (dear in laws) dachshund, Rusty, has been sick all summer with allergy type symptoms.  He has deteriorated this fall, having anemia and pain/lethargy.  He even had a transfusion.  He died Sat morning.  He was only like 7.  I know how attached to him my FIL in particular was to Rusty.  Sweet dear Rusty, cross the rainbow bridge and be free of pain and run again in the field with Barney and all the other dogs.  You did your job well here on earth.  We love you and we will miss you.

It has been so sweet to see how much my DH and his brothers and sister love and worry for the pain they know this has caused their parents.  So, right away the 3 brothers began telling their father he should get another dog, if not puppy.  FIL did not say no and did not really say yes.  This was while Rusty was still sick and deteriorating.  The kids did not want to be too pushy or rush things, but they were very concerned because of how close FIL was with Rusty.  So, the search began and a pup was found a couple weeks ago.  A picture was texted to SIL and she showed her phone to her parents.  They agreed the pup was cute.  The pup was obtained by DH brother and his wife.  They were not supposed to get him for another week, but once Rusty passed they agreed to let him go a week early.  We went over to meet "Buddy" Friday after work, before they took him to DIL home in nearby state (in same town as our RH).  The report was that Buddy was very much loved and readily accepted and was the perfect antidote for idle hands and idle heart.  He even woke them up the next morning 5am sharp needing outside to potty.  DH can tell by his parents' voices they are pleased with Buddy.  So sweet. 

DH and I have 2 dogs and a cat.  We are trying to find a home for the 11 y/o cat.  Our other cat was elderly and passed this summer and the kitty is lonely.  My female Chihuahua does not like the kitty and barks at her.  The kitty instigates it because she is needy.  it is not an ideal situation.  My male Chihuahua is about 11 years old and has a hear murmur, so we worry about him.  As he was beginning to slow down about 3 years ago, my DH told me we should get another and he was instrumental in making us go look. 

When I walked in, DH really was drawn to the big dogs, be we know that our small male is not crazy about bigger dogs.  He went and looked at each big dog and I really struggled.  I encouraged him to go and look in the small dog room.  We walked in and the door opened right to left.  I was on left side, DH was on my right.  When the door opened up, it partially blocked the pens to our left.  I looked left and DH looked right.  When I saw little C, she nervously approached the cage and quickly licked my hand and then ran back to the back of the pen and was withdrawn and cringing, she was so nervous.  By the time I got DH attention, she was in the corner, refusing to look at us or come over to us.  I told him what she had done and told him I had a feeling about her.  DH was not too impressed.  The staff had us take her outside and we sat around (we brought our boy CO to meet her to be sure they would be compatible).  CI was so nervous, that she just stuck to the staff and would not come to us, even for hot dog bite.  Then I showed her a toy and she was interested, but still would not come to me.  Then I sat down and she crawled into my lap.  That is all it took!  We brought her home and we have had her now for 2.5 years.  She is my delight and so runs our entire household. 

Animals bring so much joy into our life.  I feel they are a gift from God for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment