Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Me too

10/17/17
Me Too
After the recent news out of Hollywood about a producer being a long time predator against women in entertainment industry, there is a sweeping wave of "me too" being posted on social media by other women who have either been a victim of sexual harassment or sexual assault.  I made a comment on one of my friends' post, but I am too afraid to put my own #me too out there.  That is how something like this sticks with someone.  For.  The.  Rest.  Of.  Their.  Life.  Over the weekend, while watching a report on the news about it, I casually mentioned to my DH that not only does it happen to many women, such as myself, but more than once.  I wish my younger self had the perspective and wisdom of my older self in dealing with it.  I cannot write much about it now, maybe someday I will be able to.  But, I definitely have experienced both kinds of abuse...and not just once. In the industry I started out my career in...I was harassed, more than once.  And I worked in a bar as an 18 year old.  It happened there too.  At least thet told us we could smack someone for touchung us.  But I am sorry to say, I have not only been harassed, I have been assaulted to.  I wonder how many other women have been assaulted too.  And I have rarely ever spoken of it and certainly never written anything down about it.  How powerful are the feelings it causes...guilt, shame, anxiety...it may even begin for form perception of myself and others.  It can be something that one uses as a shield or a wall.  I did.  I worry the way our society is headed this problem is not going away anytime soon.  But at least victims can begin to heal faster/sooner...or better yet...avoid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment