Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Fall Reflection

10/31/17
One of the things I had problems getting done this past weekend was canning 6 quarts of apple pie filling.  It was hard because the recipe I had called for the hot liquid to be poured into the jars over the cut up apple.  So, you have to sterilize the jars and then put the apples in and then make the liquid.  When I was stirring the liquid, it got hot and bubbly and then can quickly boil over.  I had not used many quart jars before and when I had 6 in the hot bath canner, it is REALLY full.  Anyway, I got it done, but had to do the entire process twice because they did not seal the first time.  It also takes a lonnnnnggggg time to bring 6 full quarts to a rolling boil and let it process for a full 25 min.  Whew.  So I tasted the syrup and I think it is going to make some really good pies!  I also froze 3 quarts and another quart of just the syrup.  Hope this works!  I spent a long time cutting and pealing.  My hand was arthritic practically!

Passage from the latest book I am listening to made me have a light-bulb moment last week.  I mull it over a little each day since to let it process.  The book is called Strangers Tend to Tell Me Things, by Amy Dickinson (of Ask Amy column).  She talks about how her father left her family when she was young and she felt that by her father always telling her early in life that she was in his circle and making a big distinction opposed to people that were not in his circle, by leaving, he was poignantly telling her she was not anyone who mattered.  My F did this too.  It made quite an impression on my, walking down the sidewalk, hurrying toward home as the sun was setting last Thursday...

1 comment:

  1. It's quicker to pressure can with quart jars, no matter what you are canning. It's quicker to bring the 1 quart of water needed to pressure can to boil, then get up to pressure, (with apples, I think it's usually 6 pounds for 5 minutes, but I ALWAYS check) than it is to get the amount of water to cover the jars, plus another two inches, to boil for the required time.

    ReplyDelete