Sunday, September 24, 2017

Two Steps Forward

One step back.  At least that beats one step forward, two steps back. 

Some great strides in decluttering and saving, then I see something shiney.  Oh well.  I had saved up some money for a couple of things and so I feel ok as long as I try to stay away from impulse buying.  I had planned to get something nice for DH retirement and now that is out of the way.  I can work almost a year trying to add back to my savings to make up for that. 
 
Lots of festivals this time of the year and that is so fun!  Yesterday we went to an art show and a car show.  We had a great time, even though it was in the 90's and humid!  We also went to a great meal out Friday night and they serve family style, so LOTS of leftovers!  Also 3 friends have given us fresh produce, so I am not going to the store until late in the week, we are working on our pantry and freezer. 
 
Today we are going to a movie which is a rare treat.  We almost always do matinees due to keeping cost down.  Then we go pick up our used car that has been very challenging with all the repairs we had to shell out within months of owning it.  But I look at it like, now the vehicle has basically been rebuilt, so should last us several years. 

My DH also sold his newer truck recently so we could put that money in the bank to be able to pay off RH when we sell our CH.  It should happen still.  I also recently did a small financial assist for a family member and gave to Red Cross for hurricane and bought a shirt to help animal shelter.  So, that makes me feel really good.
 
This weekend, I thoroughly cleaned master bath everything!  Lights, doors, baseboard and floor.  I will finish up tonight with scrubbing the grout.  I also caulked a place around front door window panel and repainted that trim. 

I read another blog who recommended you hire an inspector to go through and point out stuff you can address beforehand.  I may just have BIL who has built houses do that.  I also have a friend who is really good at staging and when she was here last month, she gave me lots of ideas that I wrote down on a list.  I did not get rid of much this weekend, but now that we will have our big SUV back, I can take a giant lamp to my aunt (A2) and I am taking a large houseplant and 2 giant planters to my SIL2. 

I wish I had started blogging sooner so I could remember all the stuff I have sold, given away to family/friends and given to thrift stores.  It has been pretty substantial.  Here are a few examples:  clothes, shoes, jewelry, collectibles of certain name brands sold.  I have used Facebook market place, ebay and Poshmark.  Furniture: FB, garage sales and Craigslist.  Plus I have given plenty away.  Sentimental stuff goes back to where I got it, or on to younger people in my family.  Sporting goods, expensive small items mostly ebay.  I had a freezer that we called bulk item pick up and I have put several large things we don't want, that have little value that I have sat by the curb with a "free" sign during our neighborhood garage sale.  I will do a whole post on Poshmark sometime.  All these things I have probably make over $5000 in the past 2 years.  I also gave away some large houseplants free on Craigslist. 

The older I get, the more I think about cleaning and maintaining certain things.  I am getting tired of houseplants, but I still keep a few.  DH and I really hate to kill houseplants.  I would rather give it away.  My health condition is cooperating with me great this weekend, feel great!  I walked yesterday before it got warm and I will walk later today again, AFTER the NFL game!
 
Hope you are getting a lot of fall projects tackled!

No comments:

Post a Comment