Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Wednesdays with GM

Well I made an error in my first blog post ever.  I guess everyone refers to family members by initials.  So, I should have typed DH instead of husband.  I don't even know what the D stands for, 'dear'?  Anyway, it's a learning curve.  Today I am not nearly as talkative as I felt yesterday.  Maybe that is part of the curve.  Like, where to start...what to say...Today in the Midwest it is pretty warm for this time of the year, highs in the high 80's.  So, I actually enjoyed wearing a dress and sandals to work today, but with a jacket because it is always freezing cold at my office. 

After work on Wed I usu go visit my 98 year old grandmother.  GM I guess.  How lucky I feel to have a GM who is 98 years old.  I turned 50 this year.  My folks are both deceased.  Cancer.  I lost my mom early, she was in her 40's and I was in my 20's when she died.  This GM is my paternal GM.  My dad passed away 3 years ago.  So, after my dad passed, we moved GM away from my dad's city to the city where I live now.  My paternal aunt (PA), her daughter also lives here.  One of the people I will be very sad to move away from is GM.  When she moved here 3 years ago she never expected to be alive at 98.  I am glad she is, but I try to pray for God's will.  I was mindful of this this past spring and tried to come to terms with what He might have in store.  I pray my GM will not go through a long, protracted decline.  She got sick after having a surgery in March, just before her 98th birthday and for a few weeks, we really thought we were going to lose her.  It was a long spring.  She lives alone in an independent living facility.  Her meals are fixed for her and her apartment is cleaned/linens washed.  She does her own personal laundry.  She likes books on tape and baseball.  She cannot hear or see well so her quality of life has diminished a lot.  She has a lot of friends who visit and call her.  This past year I have really seen this diminish too.  She gets anxious because she can't understand when people try to talk to her and when she asks people to speak up, often they just repeat what they said in the exact same tone.  I can imagine how frustrating that would be.  So, I go visit once a week and call at least once a week.  I wish I could do more, but she is about 50 miles from where I live on other side of the city.  My work is about 1/2 in between, so it is handy to go see her on Wed or Fri after work. On these days, I try to have DH dinner pre planned, because he does not cook and would resort to snacks and unhealthy stuff...or just eat nothing.  Ugggghhh.

Lately I am doing a stretch of OT at work and this has gone on since July.  I try to get an extra 5 to 10 hours a week on top of my usu 40.  It has helped me get a few things for retirement house (RH).  I bought a new window, a new stove and a new dishwasher.  More on RH later.  In my posts, I want to include something about what I am doing to prepare for that move.  Some days, it seems very little.  But, really just working and paying bills, saving and paying as we go for improvements/projects is as good as it gets, and for that I am grateful.  I also try to do at least one small project at city house (CH) a weekend while I am in town.  We go to RH about once or twice a month.  Lately, we have done less of that because of my OT.  So, this past weekend I regrouted between the sink and the counter the length of my center island where the sink is.  I know, ambitous, huh?.  I also put out 2 heavy dehumidifiers that we will no longer need/have room to store at RH.  RH does not have a basement either, while CH does.  They were marked free and both were taken.  It was our neighborhood fall garage sale this past weekend, so that felt good.  The week before that I sold my treadmill and elliptical that I stored (and used) in large basement storage room in CH.  I was a little surprised they sold so quick and both together.  This winter I will have to be a little creative in my workouts and I will also just up my yoga a bit.  Well, back to work...See you again soon.

2 comments:

  1. Seems like you are very busy - with life and with preparing for your future life. I hope when you get to retire, you will enjoy it.

    Don't worry about what is right and wrong in blogging. This is your space. You make the rules. Sometimes people use initials when speaking about others - to protect their identity - but if you use initials too much - it can be hard for the reader to remember what the initials stand for. Haha. At least it is harder for someone like me who turned 70 this year! Yikes! When I am talking about a family member I use their relationship to me - husband, sister, son, daughter. I never use initials. My blog, my rules. Do what makes sense to you and not worry about what others are doing or thinking. You are authentic in telling your story - people will enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tips! I know it gets confusing. I will tighten that up. I need to get stuff out and not bottle it up. Many of this stuff I have never talked to anyone about and it is really scary getting it out there.

    ReplyDelete