Friday, September 22, 2017

First day of fall Friday

So I got my walk in last evening after work.  It was nice, a little warm but nice therapy.  I have been walking regularly (I jogged for a few years) for over 30 years, since I graduated from high school.  I walk outside and inside.  I have gone through two treadmills.  I just sold my last one to downsize. 
 
I walk as much for relaxation as anything.  The weather lately is not like fall, it is in the high 80's low 90's and pretty humid.  Oh well, it won't last long.  We need rain at RH or I rely on my in laws to keep things alive and I hate for them to have to worry about it.  My DH parents and sister are great to help us when we need to, or we could have never bought this house and started getting it ready for when we retire ahead of time, like we have done. 
 
This month officially makes it 3 years that we have been dealing with 2 house payments, 2 insurance, 2 real estate taxes, 2 utilities...it has been great, but a little stressful (first world problems).  But we could not have done it without dear IL and my SIL and BIL. 
 
Today SIL had to oversee 2nd delivery of our new dishwasher.  The first one they installed had large defect in the surface covering about 1/3 of the front panel.  Our existing appliances there are white (I hate) and the cabinets are white (I love).  We could not find a nice updated slide in electric range (and were not willing to tear up entire floor to run gas line) in white, so we got stainless.  I have heard all the stories of fingerprints, smears, etc.  But white was not working out and we did not want black.  The kitchen is sort of small and a little closed off and the black would have been way to dark for the space. 
 
The house itself is small ish 1400+ square feet.  Our current city house is about 2700, but has a large storage area and 2 full living areas.  We felt it important to go slightly smaller and with true range/one story lay out.  This RH is also older than CH, but we fell better built.  So both houses seem to have things they need at the same time - that has been fun.  This year we have purchased a water heater and washer/dryer (CH) and a roof, range/oven and dishwasher (RH).  At least we have paid case as we have gone along. 
 
Also last year we finished more laminate floors in CH (to get it ready to sell) and enclosed a car port at RH.  Next will be a new AC for RH, but at least we got the one for CH purchased a couple of years ago (the unit on CH was less than 10 years old and just quit). 
 
I am told that builder grade things are like that and we see this over and over in CH.  Even how the siding and doors/windows on the SW side was done wrong, leading to water rushing in when we first moved in and requiring a sump pump in the basement - which all fell on us and HOA, instead of the builder (not my decision, this was the mindset of the HOA person/hired by builder).  This eventually has lead to ever increasing HOA fees and a deficit to our neighborhood account.  Some of my neighbors are very concerned and try to get answers and some of the neighbors seem to just "trust" it will all work out.  DH and I are just looking forward to getting away from it before there is a large assessment. 
 
Oh, and while we feel lucky home prices seem to be rising which is good for sellers, taxes on both places has risen steadily in the past 3 years.  We are really basically just over the stress of two places.
 
Well, this weekend I have not decided what my project will be at CH to do something to help the process of selling it.  There are plenty of things to do.  Maybe I will scrub the white grout in the master bath.  Whose idea was it to use white anyway?  Duh.  There are lots of fall festival type activities in the city this weekend and a movie we want to see, so we will have some fun and make run to appreciate my gratitude for the present and not wish my time away too fast! 

Hope you have a great weekend if you are reading this, thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment