Wednesday, October 4, 2017

One Can Google Anything

I was happy to google this:  "large, vigorous plants can be dug and divided for propagation purposes. September is the best time to transplant established peonies. Begin by cutting the peony stems near ground level. Then carefully dig around and under each plant."
 
Even though it is Oct, it is only the 7th day of Oct that I plan to move my peonies.  We are going to retirement house this weekend.  I have several things I want to get accomplished before we have our family annual craft fair weekend, in 3 weeks.  1)  paint the cubby around the water/ice dispenser on my side by side refridgerator.  It is white but this plastic insert has yellowed.  We just recently bought a new stove (oven died) and dishwasher.  I am not spending the money on a new fridge yet.  It works fine.  2)  I removed the glass shades from the small guest room fan to use on a painted/refurbished guest bathroom light.  I don't want the overhead lights anyway.  I just have to figure out how to take off that middle ring portion of the ceiling fan that houses the light sockets.  At least I hope this can be done.  3)  I am going to clean/paint some outdoor furniture.  4)  disconnect a built in light in the kitchen desk area, below the cabinets.  For 3+ years this has hung there when I unscrewed it from the cabinet so i could paint under it.  5)  move rocks out of outside planter bed and move my peonies to the planter bed. 
 
When we bought our RH it was Labor Day weekend 2014.  There were 2 large raised planters on the Northwest side of the house that had scads of wild onion and weeds in them.  I read that you could basically compost cut grass and leaves and cardboard and not have to till a garden area.  Well, the leaves and grass would not stay put and all around the foundation of the house there were large fist size rocks just laying loose.  Like the ones that matched the foundation rocks, but just laying there.  I did not yet have a garden tractor or wheelbarrow, so I just put a bunch of these large rocks in my planters to help control weeds. 
 
FAIL! 
 
Now I have weeds + rocks! in the planters.  Now that I have both a garden tractor and a place to put these rocks, so time to move them!  The peonies are just scattered near my backdoor making an unsightly trap for leaves and "things", no telling what kind of creepy crawly things are in there.  I prefer a much more tailored landscaping plan near my house, esp near a door.  Ick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment