Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Reflections

Remember all the free plants I got last spring...more on them later.

This week last year we were preparing to leave the extended-stay-hotel-from-hell and leave the city to go permanently to our retirement home.  I remember how excited I was, truly just beyond belief it was happening after counting down what seemed like 10 years but really was more like actual 4 years.  I remember thinking it was all happening so fast and it felt rushed, like events that you have looked so forward to but end up going by in a blur and you try to recall in your memories (and pictures).  Big reason why I started this blog was to document the time getting ready and leading up to such a big change in our lives.

Well, fast forward to spring after we retired.  I was restless, we bought a new car, I saw it as leverage to go back to my same work and get a temp assignment, etc.  And here we are approaching 6 months later.  I am giving my notice this week - 2 more week after this week and I am going to enjoy not wearing makeup, packing my lunch, loading my suitcase, etc.  Going to enjoy having a looser schedule and getting my tire body and my complaining tummy back to balance.  Did a stupid thing with my backyard - stacking rocks for a make-shift temp border while we moved our existing azaleas out from house to around the deck.  I plan to put in flagstone area between the deck and the back porch - so the shrubs had to move.  Then I got a bunch of free plants from DH cousin and just put them wherever to keep them alive - but no real plan.  Watered and had great luck with them - but now I want to more formally/permanently situate the landscaping and make it 1)  pleasing to look at but also 2) easier to tend to/mow around.  So I ditched the topple-ing rocks and installed paver bricks length-wise end to end almost flush with the ground/grass to make for easy mowing, while still keeping the grass and plants separate and looking pretty with mulch. 



I have a LOT more to do, but I like doing projects.  We are also going to put more insulation in our attic so we look forward to that - not so much, but will be glad to get it done.

Last evening I did not go to gym after work.  I drove DH convertible and thought my aunt would enjoy a quick little ride before I go to bed.  She did.  Uncle is failing and feeling badly, but not specifically badly as to be diagnosable in er - no actual pain/fever - just feels crappy all over and his spirits are following along.  She enjoys some company to think about something else.  She had served him dinner and gotten him settled in his chair and off we went, just for a quick spin.  Got a few groceries, I got enough coffee to last 2.5 weeks I have left at the office.

We came home and watched our nightly 30 min of TV then I went to bed.  Slept poorly.  Uncle wants the house like an oven, his main complaint at the moment, is, that he is freezing.  It was 75 there last night!  I woke up hot about 4 times!  Poor Uncle, how will he get through the winter.  Happy Fall a couple days late!

Project in progress:

No comments:

Post a Comment