Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Final Wayfair Share

 
This weekend I got to see the coffee table I had ordered that DH has assembled while I was working last week.  We were a little disappointed that the bottom shelf panels were missing, but a quick email indicated they would be mailed to us soon.  I realize these things happen, but why don't they mail them back with the same communication/urgency of the original order?  The tabletop had a divet out of it that we tried to patch, but it still did not look great and we were afraid it would not hold up over time - I requested that be replaced too and it has been nearly 2 weeks!  So, for small inexpensive items, mail order has been fine (plus I wanted 3 very specific and small things).  Most furniture you see in retail stores is 1)  expensive!  and 2)  huge.

I am overall happy to get exactly what I want, fairly inexpensive and be a little patient/put them together. 

This was after I got home from the city Thursday evening and turned around and rode back with my sister.  I really should have stayed home, I was exhausted to the point of needed to nap.  Which is not like me.  We did learn when we stopped to visit our Granny that she is moving.  From an independent living apartment to another closer to her daughter.  She was afraid we would be mad, I don't really understand why she thought I would be mad, I guess because she was not moving closer to me.  I never expected that.  Anyway, she insists on hiring a moving truck (she does not have much, will be $900).  I am grateful for that, because otherwise even though we have cousins in the city, DH and I would have done the majority of the work.  This way my sister and I can take a couple days to help unpack and make her place more of a home.  We are honored to help her.

My aunt and unle were so thrilled at my sister's gift of a call-button system.  Very proud and happy.  Nice that my sister can do that for them.  We had a nice lunch with them Sat before we drove back.  So, I was home Sat night, Sunday and Monday.  My sister and I also enjoyed a nice dinner with my girlfriends from the city T and D.  We haven't kept up with D as much, she does not really keep in touch much either, is busy with her grandkids.  Frankly talks about them non stop.  She still indicated she wanted to come down to our house.  Not without T, I will just have to put it off maybe.
Sunday DH and I mowed and looked at 2 for sale houses in our little town with smaller yards.  One house over priced and needed a $5000 - $8000 wood fence replaced - PLUS it had 7 giant cut off stumps in the yard - a fairly small yard.  It had been gutted and remodeled beautifully, but lacked these 2 huge items for us - and overpriced.  The other house was brand new - very pretty and I really loved the layout - tiny yard which is ok for us.  But it was REALLY small (not that I care).  Just not sure we are ready to downsize that much this quick. 

Then Monday we looked at 2 larger homes 1 old 1 new in nearby higher traffic area.  One had a nice view, the other did not.  Both smaller yards - 1 mostly rock.  DH really hating our huge yard and the mowing.  I offer to do the mowing, he is not willing to have his wife do all the mowing - so it is a quandary for us, somewhat.  We may consider finding room in our budget to hire someone, but it would be $70/week!  We will see.

One thing this looking has shown us - we are essentially on the same page - we just want cozy home, to enjoy each other and reduce our focus on stuff.  However, I have been feeling this pull for about 5 years -to reduce my stuff and he seems new to the change - although surprises me sometimes.  Actually 2 things, we both really do feel the happy goal of making sure the other person is happy and satisfied where we are in life and in our retirement...more broadly, in our life journey. 

I told DH last night as we were relaxing before I had to get to bed early to get up at 3:45 am - I just care about him, not what we have or where we live.  Plus - we really do love our house.  So, we will probably stay put and enjoy all we have done on the house.  It has been quite a summer indeed.

3 comments:

  1. I watched a mower at Lowe's that is like a Roomba. I mows the same way the other cleans. I am sure it is not perfect. Plus, if anyone tries to steal it, it alarms and yells, too. The nicest part of your post is the care you two share for each other;s well-being. I do not have that and miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure seems like you do have that. We don't have our main yard fenced, would cost like $6000 I was quoted. So the Roomba-like mower would not work, unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. We paid $70 a week the 4 years we lived in the city and just maintained this yard from afar. That is almost $300/month!

    ReplyDelete