Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Coming Up on One Year Since DH Retired

I say DH retired, because I retired for 8 months then went back to work.  But I am coming up on the period of time I committed 4 - 6 months, is nearly 6 months.  Then, I will take 2-3 months off and figure out my next step.

I saw this post this morning and it really made my chuckle to myself.  I am back to eating better and really trying to watch my sugar intake, and I already feel much better.  I can tell that it is going to take me a while to really get my gut health back and stop having gastro issues, body aches and skin issues. 

Other improvements I have tried to make is to be more comfortable just being still/non productive and be ok with myself.  This is probably my biggest challenge to retirement - ME!  My mother always told me I was too hard on myself, my worse critic, etc.  She was right.  Mom's are so smart.  I used to be able to call my mom and in the 1st 5 seconds, she could tell where I was emotionally and what I was doing, what I needed...like working too hard, not eating right, not getting enough rest, not enjoying nature, etc.  So amazing.  I miss her every day.

Well, this past weekend was hot as mid summer, DH and I did little except we mowed Saturday and it just wore us out!  So, other than doing a gym workout and couple yoga sessions - we did very little.  I piddled around the house a bit, cleaned, laundry, put together my new coffeetable (and we sold the other one!).  We did downsize an entire Encyclopedia set (my dear husband finally agreed to part with it).  We just don't need - books...they are the weakness of us both!

I gained tons of space on my 4 bookcase set, rearranged our knick knacks so we can really see and enjoy them more.  It was a great feeling - a whole truck load taken to sister in law's store.  Seems like we should not have more stuff to downsize...I wish that were true.  Anyone married to a motorcycle lover seems to have various parts, along with extra boots, helmets, coats...DH also former active camper/hunter/outdoorsman - we have many tents, sleeping bags and various camping equipment we really don't need - I will cull these next spring! 

We did get out our bikes and ride them to Lowe's Saturday after mowing.  I picked out the insulation we will be blowing into the attic in October and the bricks I will be buying for newer, tidier border in my back yard.  While we have decided to stay at our 1 acre yard house for a while, my immediate goal is to make mowing easier, while getting to enjoy my landscaping I have worked so hard on, while I can.

Have a great hump day!

2 comments:

  1. I think all us women are hard/harder on ourselves...whether it's handed down from our moms or part of our culture.
    So how is hubby taking retirement? Is he happy he went out when he did? Is he having a hard time adjusting to his new life? I am sure with you going back to work/being away so much it has affected him, right?
    Take that 2-3 months off after you finish up to really sit and think about what comes next. And really RELAX for a bit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH loves retirement and really misses me, but he has been very supportive and helpful. Otherwise he is getting his schedule perfected. This time I feel like I am more prepared, so I can't wait to rest up (and do several projects at home).!

      Delete