Monday, June 22, 2020

The Days are Moving So Fast!

Hope everyone out there had a nice Father's Day!


My husband and I went on a short 3 hour kayak float on a nearby river.  It was only the 2nd time I have ever been in a kayak on a river.  Last Saturday I went with a group of about 20 on a larger river about 2 hours away.  It is a pretty well known river - The Buffalo River - in Arkansas.  It is actually the first National River designated in the US.  Here is the wiki link.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_National_River  It is a beautiful area.

Some parts of this river are pretty dangerous due to the narrowing curves and the rocks.  Not so much the rapids, as such.  There are areas where the river descends enough so that is a big of a challenge too.  A year or two ago there is a large sinkhole where a man drowned.  He was pretty experienced kayaker from what I recall.

I did an easy section last Saturday with some very experienced people.  We all are older and non drinkers/partiers.  I would not want to take a chance with people who were not experienced or who were drinking.  In 1995 when I was going to school in Arkansas, I did the challenging section...with an experienced outdoorsman, in a duel canoe.  We did flip over once, but were fine.  We were also in our 20's!

My friend and I felt my DH would enjoy a shorter kayak and made plans to go Sunday with him.  I am so glad we did.  We enjoyed so much the pretty scenery and the animals we saw (birds, turtles, frogs, a snake, etc).  DH had a blast.  The river we did yesterday was getting low.  They say parts of the Buffalo (the lower) are getting low too.  We had a lot of rain in March - April but it has slowed considerably.  It usually does, but more towards late July.  This is a little early for our lawn to be turning brown.  We really don't have very good grass, so I am not going to worry much about it.  As I finish diff landscaping projects, I will worry about yard next.  I read that a good time to seed is around Labor Day.  It is good and warm, the dry hot weather may be easing by then...can plant seed and it will be mature enough for me to weed and feed next spring.  I am just going to work on very small portion of lawn in the backyard to perfect it before I expand to the front.

I did have my bonfire Friday evening.  I scanned ALL my photos, scrapebooks, memorabilia, even yearbooks to my computer and burned all the originals, except what i am keeping for family (neice and nephews).  I love the feeling of getting rid of stuff so my house is not stuffed.  My in laws think i am crazy for getting rid of originals.  We had dinner with the in laws Saturday evening for Father's Day.  But my DH and his family are very much into antiques and keepsakes, just stuff.  Not me.  I used to be in my younger years, but the older i get the less around me I want to deal with.

Now that I have been retired (semi retired) for close to 2 years, I know more about what stuff I will keep and use and what is just extra volume that I won't need (clothes, shoes, jewelry).  In a recent purge, I cleaned out a bunch of my costume jewelry and got rid of my large jewelry case.  At a local consignment store I found a small chest that fits under the counter in my bathroom where the vanity is.

I love the smaller one.  It is in my bath now instead of my bedroom and the lighting is much better.
Today it is pretty warm but this is late June.  I usu get up and work for an hour, then feed the dogs and when i let them out into the bigger yard, i water my vegetables.  My lettuce still going strong but growing to seed in next few weeks.  My spinach and kale is winding down.  My chard is about the same.  My tomatoes have tiny fruit and i am watching them close!

Have a great Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment