Thursday, January 6, 2022

Puttering

 Yesterday my DH was out on the side of the house that I don't visit much in the winter (north side).  He says that green bushy plant thing has buds on it...I was like, what plant is he talking about...?  On my north side I have ferns, hydrangea and hostas up by my house.  Then I have a walkway in between that and my raised beds.  

This house had 2 raised beds, approx 3 by 5 feet.  They were full of nothing buy wild onions, which thrive here.  I cleaned them up and had my DH build me one more.  They now have iris, daffodil, lillies, salvia, and hopefully my hardy hibiscus will come back.  In the fall, I just rake bunch of leaves on it all and sort of insulate everything.  Oh, and my lenten rose is on the side of the ferns and hostas. 

I went and checked it.  Sure enough, it is getting ready.  I always thought of the crocus or daffodils as the early bloomers, but maybe my lenten rose will be first.  Wikipedia said end of February.  


I love decluttering and organizing this time of year.  Sort of making my space more comfortable and enjoyable since I am inside so much, I guess.  Makes sense.  I like making simple little changes all year, that I enjoy from one season to the next.  For example, we moved our big bird feeder into the small fenced part of our yard, so it is easier to get to and see the birds.  

It used to be out on the right side of our maple in the center of the picture - on the other side of the fence.  Around the bottom of that tree, the roots were bunched up and weird, I finally (after 6 years) moved some extra concrete blocks around it and added in dirt to even the ground out and surround the visible roots.  As I was adding dirt, I put in some Alum bulbs round the center and then Crocus bulbs around the perimeter.  I can't wait to se what blooms this spring.  I may have waited too late.  I was not planning to finish it this fall/winter - as I am pretty much stuck inside working.  Well, on the 30th, we got off work early plus my friend had given me some bulbs packages she got on sale, so I had the not-self-impossed deadlines to prompt me to get it done!  I am glad I did it last thursday, because by Sat evening, it had dropped from the 60's down into the 20's!

Here it is after I planted the bulbs, before it snowed.



Around this time, I was also killing a little bit of time and finally got out the step ladder and trimmed/trained my wisterida.  I was inspired by my DH and my projects to move the bird feeder and our big wind chime.  They are both hanging pretty high up in our 2 backyard oak trees.  Now the windchime is over closer to our bedroom, which I like because I can hear it faintly at night and I love it.  

Here is my wisteria.

This side of my house looks so wintery and sleeping right now.  I love when it comes alive in the spring and look forward to posting lots of pictures.  

Have a great evening!





No comments:

Post a Comment