Thursday, January 13, 2022

Heifer International

 At Thanksgiving, we were tallying up and settling up the receipts/money for the feast we had.  We try to share the cost as a family on DH side.  We were standing around and I was feeling like I did not want money for what I purchased toward the family...but feeling like if my elderly mother and father paid more then I did not want them to feel like they always have to feed all of us.  They are elderly and fixed income for a lot longer than any of the rest of us!

Anyway, DH mother was saying how she wanted to send money to Heifer International (look them up - a great charity, based out of Little Rock!).  She really wanted to be able to afford to send them enough to get a family a goat and was reading off all the virtues of having a goat, all the products they can consume, milk, cheese, more goats...  So the family all decided that any money traded that day over our feast groceries should go toward Heifer International.  



Evidently she got her wish - and I think I remember her telling us at Christmas...but Mother in Law sent in enough from all of us to buy a goat for a needy family in a poor country.  And that makes me happy.  I think maybe that is a tradition we should continue.

Do you have any traditions that you love that you are making sure to continue?  

I hope you are all staying well out there.  Has been nice and pretty and mild outside, and I am stuck inside working.  But I have several family members in my sister's family and my cousin's family that are dealing with Covid right now.  Seems to be mostly mild so far.  My fear is DH getting it, with all his health issues...and my in laws, they are in their 80's.

Also, I have an uncle with bladder cancer and my cousin (who is my age) - he has stage 3 colon cancer, right smack dab in full-blown chemo right now.  Would hate to "give" it to one of them.  

My yoga class had a member get it and i am shocked I did not get it, but don't think i was ever closer to 6 feet from her except coming into or leaving class.  So, for near future, we are back to zoom yoga while we are all at home.  I will enjoy the advantages of that (don't have to drive the 12 miles in narrow winding, dark road and spend money on gas) and deal with the negatives...my mind does tend to wander during yoga nidra.  The wind - down, meditative portion at the end.  I will try to focus.  What are you focusing on tonight?  


1 comment:

  1. Heifer International is a good organization- self sufficiency in ways that make sense. There's the water project too that I support. Yours is a nice tradition.

    ReplyDelete