Monday, December 2, 2019

Happy December!

I am mainly just happy the sun is out today!  We have had about a week and a half of gloomy, gray raining AND WINDY! days.  I woke up at 5:30 am Thanksgiving to drive 4 hours to see my Granny and it was 36 and raining and 32 north, where I was driving.  I decided to call off my trip.  I know she was relieved, cause she worries about us.  My sister (and niece and nephew) were going to go, we were disappointed, but used the extra time to sleep and relax.

I went ahead and got up, I was wide awake.  DH and I just had a quiet day at home.  His family celebrates on Sat after Thanksgiving, every year.  So, we had a nice visit and meal Saturday.  Then, we ate 2nd helpings before the family from the city drove back.  It was in the 60's when they left Sunday.

One of my favorite things to do with Thanksgiving leftovers is to make bone broth with the turkey leftovers.  I take the entire mess and put it in my crockpot with water up to the top and I slow simmer for 24 - 36 hours.  Then I pour into a large container, strained with a sheet of cheesecloth.  I then dispose of the stuff and rinse out the cheese cloth and I freeze the broth.

Today I froze half and used half the broth to make a yummy soup of sautéed onion, yellow squash and zucchini.  I ALWAYS have to look up how to spell zucchini!  Anyone else?

I just flavor it with salt and pepper and rosemary.  Then after it has simmered 30 min and all the veggies all soft and tender, I use the immersion blender to blend it all up.  So good!

I gotta get back on the bandwagon of no sweets, less carbs, less processed food.  After all, I am training for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment