Friday, January 25, 2019

I Will Never Get...

...Political on this blog, nor am I now, but I hate this government shut down business!  I just heard that it was over.  For now.  My DH worked for a department that would not have been affected until this next pay period.  DH spoke with a friend from his office last week and was told that they had budgeted enough to pay people through Jan 31, but not beyond.  Other departments have already missed 1 or 2 paychecks.

One year, approx. 2011 or so,  federal employees were furloughed and he made approx. 25% less that year.  It was stressful for us and that was with me working.  So we were a 2 income household.  We trimmed the fat, that was when I started making DH lunch every day (he used to eat out most lunches) and we sold one of our more expensive vehicles.  But it was otherwise, not felt too severely by us.  We are flexible and able to adjust.

Some people may feel such a budget shortfall more severely.  Other households may just have one working adult, or have dependent children, or debt, etc.  People should not be expected to work without pay.  It is wrong.  States preclude such situations, calling it involuntary servitude.  A euphemism.

I am sure this is far from over.  I am sure that this is not the last time such a "shutdown" will happen.  But it is wrong for the working people to be so adversely affected by the choices of our elected officials who have no idea what it feels like to wonder how you are going to pay for childcare, or gas to get to work or food.

Sad

2 Corinthians 12:10:
“Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

No comments:

Post a Comment