Tuesday, September 29, 2020

wooooo weeeee i am tired

So I worked my 40 hours early last week, so i could take off at noon and drive up to the city.  I met my work friend B, we had sushi at one of our favorite places, downtown.  It was delicious.  Especially since it has been 11 months since our last sushi!  We had sushi here at this same place Oct 2019 when I had finished my 6 months of work last year.  


Then I spent the night at my Aunt's house and bright and early Friday I went to my dear grandmother's old independent living apartment to start moving her stuff to her new place.  She is moving from a facility to a traditional apartment, but she is right  next door to my aunt (her daughter).  


I completely filled my large SUV 3 times and took to the new place where I had to open 2 fire doors each trip (one with a key) all by myself and go down one flight and up one flight at new place.  It is a nice place where she is going - i just worry it will be so much for my aunt to be her sole caretaker, meal prep, laundry, etc.  But since it is her mother, she did not want to move her to skilled nursing.  So, we bought a baby monitor, an automatic doorbell that rings and flashes a strobe light (my Granny is almost deaf and blind) and we bought a riser for her toilet and bunch of LED light bulbs and night lights.  I moved all her clothes, knick nacks and utility closet.  

At 5:30 I drove back north to where i used to live and I got to see my good friend and went out to dinner with her and her daughter/daughter's family.  It was nice to see them.  They had steaks, even the kids - a 7 year old and a 11 year old - eating steaks.  It was something.  I had shrimp and a baked potato and took most of mine to my aunt.  

Saturday there could only be 2 people at my grandmothers place + movers, so I went up to my friend's farm and picked apples.  2 cousins were there at new place to help organize.  The planning was that my sister and I would finish what the movers did not get on Sunday before i went home.

These are the apples I picked Saturday.  I had a nice time catching up with my friend and his 4 dogs.  He has 200 acres and enjoyed the visit too.  He got us a pizza for lunch.  From Caseys - so good!

Sunday, my sister met me at my Granny's old apartment and helped me with all the kitchen and bathroom stuff, all the pictures on the wall, the window sheers.  On, and her African violets.

Then my cousin and I went and bought the toilet riser, door bell, baby monitor, lights, etc  And I bought her a huge about 3 foot tall clock that we hung right over her TV!  We did some organizing and unpacking and my aunt served her some yummy home made vegetable soup.  Then, i finally got on the road to go home about 5:00.  I got home about 8:30pm.  Man, did my bed feel good!

Here is a picture of my new fountain, it is in the courtyard right outside of our living room/bedroom and it sounds nice.  

It has turned pretty cool here.  I am just getting ready to go for a walk before i start processing (cut up and core) some of the pears and put them in the freezer.  

To help my aunt I have informed the old apartment I am handling my grandmother's account, i wrote them an e/mail yesterday hoping they would waive the 60 days notice and not charge her a month's rent ($1900+) because my aunt did not have 60 days notice when she received word that they could move her mom in to the apartment next to her.  The office manager called me today to ask about the issues i eluded to.  My grandmother fell several times and they never informed us, my grandmother would tell her daughter.  The call button worked off and on and one time after she pressed the button for help, the woman came to assist, then said "I will be right back" and left, never to return!  There were at least 2 times my grandmother was not served any food while being quarantined in her room.  I realize these things happen, now it just depends on how they handle know that we have informed them.  I explained that my aunt called several times and was not getting call backs from people (so she said).  I am not sure how many times/how long she waited for calls back, but i know that does happen.  So, the woman I talked to said she would let us know.  I know much of this is due to covid (my grandmother declined markedly due to her state of mind not having visitors and having hard time feeding herself - all they were feeding were sandwiches, so she could not really open cans of soup or fix herself something if she wanted somethng else).  But, I just don't understand not letting my aunt know about the falls, the office manager said it is not the facility's job to notify family about falls (?).  But it IS their emergency button that each resident depends on (?)  It felt like she was being very defensive and I did not even get the their policy not to let family in to help residents, but they would let hired care people to get in.  When we hired an independant 3rd party in to stay with my grandmother, she FELL ASLEEP WHILE SITTING WITH MY GRANDMOTHER.  UGH, maybe it is just a lot of factors that all came together in a bad way, but i am praying that my grandmother does not have to pay another month ALONG with the cost of this latest move + the $2,500 "community fee" she had to pay to get into this place that she planned to stay longer than just one year.  

Hope you all are well out there and not too isolated.  We are all going to have a long winter.







6 comments:

  1. Who do these people notify when an elderly person falls? It is good you got her out of there. No food? Well, whose fault is that???

    It sounds like you had a good visit with your friend in the country. I am bone tired but not from anything fun. I love the fountain. I love the courtyard with tiles an green between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I read through my grandmother's contract twice and it was very clear to NOT list any responsibilities of the facility. Essentially she was trying to put forward the theory that the people that live here live here on their "own" and the facility owes no notice to their family. OK, well aunt and I were on her application as being authorized to speak with the facility and the aplication listed ways that the facility could get a resident moved out if they needed more care, even though the office manager kept saying the facility owed no duty of care (?). I was like is this for real? Then why did my grandmother move to a place with food included and emergency call button pendants and pay $1900+ a month?! She would have been same position in an apartment with a restaurant nearby and only have to pay $700+ a month (what she will be paying now). I know there are some scary stories out there about the care given in independent/skilled care - and i know there are lots of hard working people who work there and have way to many duties/not enough time, but it is a problem.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it's good your grandmother got moved and next to your aunt. I love your fountain. Does it have to plug in for the pump to work or?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is not a solar powered fountain and i am sort of glad because it needs to be filled up at least once a day (more when the temperature rises) and i will probably just umplug it and empty it out in the winter when it freezes.

      Delete
  3. You've been busy!! I thought you post title said you were fjred!!! I can understand why you are tired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good tired! lol. I like to stay busy and i have a lot to cram in before I move to mandatory 60 hour work weeks! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete