Monday, September 7, 2020

It's September but Still Feels Like August

 So, I am not sure exactly what i was so busy doing last week, but it did seem like i was busy everyday with more than just work...that last weekend after my last post my sister and i ran up to the city to see my Grandmother.  All we could do was sit outside and so we brought our own chairs and planned to just be able to visit with her 1 person at a time, but the woman working the front desk let my sister and i visit with her in the lobby and my aunt was there too.  My Grandmother is looking good, alert, but very thin.  My aunt said she was down to about 93 pounds.  She is very small anyway - like 4'11".  But she was in pretty good spirits and enjoyed the visit.  It was awful not getting to hug her.  I took her choc chip cookies and tomatoes.

Then we finally broke down last week and subscribed to Dish satellite TV.  I figured as long as I am working and with winter coming and continued numbers of Covid 19 increasing in my state, we will just pretty much plan on staying home and staying safe, so let's get something to watch on TV!  I do have a couple of driving roadtrips and a couple of long weekend kayaking/hiking trips with a small group, but DH will appreciate having something to watch.  We had that done Wednesday and the Dish customer service setting up the service and the technician who came out and did the wiring and setup was great.  So far, we are really enjoying it.

Then, we got a wild hair and decided to get a king size bed and sell our Queen - so we did that last week.  We ordered our king - and decided while we were at it to get the adjustable kind - i LOVE watching tv and reading in bed.  So, we had some back and forth with the bed store saying the bed was on backorder, no it's coming tomorrow!  Etc.  So we sold our old bed quickly to get it out of the way and the couple paid for it last Thursday on Venmo and then came to pick it up on Sat.  We also sold our guest room mattress (used less than 20 times) and will move our old tempurpedic into our guest room.  I will show picture next week and include my guest room makeover!  We got my Ikea order Monday last week and put the furniture together and finished the guest room Wed.  It looks so nice and i can store twice as much clothes.

The garden still producing tomatoes, i have made salsa and given several jars away.  I have had tacos, nachos and taco salad, made stewed tomatoes and put some in vegetable soup.  My peppers are still growing too, so i decided to dry some.  They were all green and now that they are drying, turning yellow and red.  Very pretty.

My sister and i talked plants and gardening while we were driving, so i am putting together a succulent sampler plant for her from my little growing collection.

My husband and i are both enjoying this cypress vine that is growing in the lava rocks behind my trash container, next to my ivy topiary.  It is also called Cardinal vine.  It is so fine and dainty, but it is anything but timid - once it grows, you will never get rid of it!  But it is pretty.

I really am loving my ivy topiaries.  One on each side of our shop/covered car port.  It was so much metal and concrete, we knew we wanted plants on each side to break up all that metal and concrete, it faces west, so i wanted something drought tollerant - plus i can leave it out there all year and it winters fine.

This is a picture of my sweet little girl chi, Chili.  She has such a cute face.  But she is not a friendly dog to strangers.  During the time the satelite installer and the people who bought the bed were here, we had to keep all the dogs outside and they were not crazy about that!  They are so spoiled!
Right now for the next week until our new bed arrives, we are sleeping on our old mattress, on the floor in our master bedroom - good luck keeping all the dogs off the bed right now!  It is only about 15 inches off the floor!  Even the 2 chi's can get right on it now.

Well, i guess i better get back to work.  No rest for me on this Labor Day, i am working so that i can take off this friday.  I am going kayaking with a couple of girlfriends about 4 hours away.  We are going Friday, Sat and a little float Sunday before we drive home.  It is going to be so fun!

I hope you are having a great Labor Day, and staying safe.  Maybe having something good to eat, on the grill or not.  I know thought it is hot and i am ready for cooler weather, I am not altogether ready for summer to go either.  See you next time.









2 comments:

  1. I really love peppers hung like that. And, did you do the ground cover between the stones in the same picture? You will love a king size bed. More tv is a good thing to have right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did grass for now in between the pavers, but may switch to a low maintenance ground cover - it will be a gradual process. We are loving the satellite TV!

    ReplyDelete