Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Quick Post


 

Yesterday we buried my Dearest Granny.  Due to Covid concerns, we were limited in what we could do and as it turns out, my Granny just wanted a very limited service, did not want a sad affair.  So, we met just small extended family, and then we held brief but very beautiful graveside.  It is about a 4 hour drive for us, I left at 5:50am with my niece riding with me.  DH went up the day before we our friend, J, from Florida.  He got on a plane from Florida and came just to be with us and help in anyway he could.  His wife had to stay in Florida - she is a busy nurse.  J and DH drove up Sunday to check on J's lake house.  The weather was sunny and beautiful - low 70's.  Today, back home I woke up to high 60's and it go up to 73 before a front moved in and it got cold and dark, windy...pretty soon the rain.  So glad we did not have rain yesterday.  I got some very nice calls, texts, posts and cards from my family and friends.  My husband's family brought by a couple of beautiful strawberry hydrangeas.  I planted them Sunday.  

We were so lucky that our minister from my small town I grew up in was able to travel from his city to perform the service.  He was able to tell nice stories of when he was a new minister and came to our small town, that the 3 ladies on the hill (My Granny and her 2 sisters in law) were his biggest cheering section.  My Granny he was especially close to, because she kept the books for the church.  He has gone on to have a large church in another big city in my 'hometown' state of Missouri and moved on to have an even bigger church in another big city.  He is well thought of in the Methodist church structure.  He and his wife have grown their little family of 4 kids to numerous grandkids, all spreading their wings now.  We were so happy we could do this for my Granny.  We had someone give her service that had known here since 1987.  I know my Granny would have been proud of her family coming together and so that is what I will hold close to my heart, that she is smiling down on us.  

4 comments:

  1. The whole scenario seems rather comforting rather than too sad. I know it sad to lose your grandmother and it seems you have many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been mostly comforting. Just working as a co executor on her estate is stressful - I will post about it later. Stay well.

      Delete
  2. That's really nice the minister performed the service, especially that he knew her so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was really nice, she would have been so happy to know he made it 4 hours to hold her graveside. I hope I have as nice a service, but honestly my experience this year with 3 funerals of my elderly family members, i am tempted to not have a service. More on that later. But I thought prepaid funerals were prepaid - oh, not so fast! Hope you re staying safe!

    ReplyDelete